What would be good external speakers to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Captain Planet, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

So, I've never bought any speakers before...but I think I might when my new iMac arrives. Now, I have no clue which ones are good, or which ones are bad...that is, if there is any "bad" ones. I was hoping to pay no more than around 40$. But again, I don't know what I can get for that price. Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

These ones are good. They are $30 more than your suggestion price and there are no cheaper that I seen of.

3. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Yeah I guess I aimed a bit low for the price...but I guess those aren't bad, for the price I mean. Are there any other speakers, like maybe not from Apple but still of good quality?

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

5. Mr. Gumby macrumors newbie

I have these JBL Creature II's in white which work really well and IMHO look great with Apple hardware. There are some used ones going for ~$40

6. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Those look nice. I might get 'em. Thanks for the link.:)

7. Jessy macrumors regular

This will be the cheapest way to have anything sound good, sorry.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M1Active520/

You will of course need to use balanced cables, and this is the cheapest audio interface that offers balanced outputs:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/LinkUSB--top.jpg

Then, get the cheapest cables you can (they come in different lengths) from this list:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c807--Balanced_Cables_TRS_to_TRS/low2high

All in all, you're looking at about $360 for good sound. There's really no point in getting anything less than that. Unfortunately, at this point, there is no reasonable way to make surround formats sound good, but we should have Macs with HDMI outputs and HDMI audio interfaces (with video passthrough) within a couple years.

8. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

9. Piepz macrumors member

10. Jessy macrumors regular

It doesn't matter if you get decent speakers if you are going to use the headphone out jack on the iMac. You'll get a disgusting noisy signal. Either get what I told you to, get something even nicer, or get nothing at all. The cheap garbage that comes inside the iMac shell is fine, and much less noisy than any other method you'll get without using an external audio interface.

Don't support consumer rubbish like RCA cables and using headphones jacks as "line outs".

11. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

Alright, I get it now. You cannot get good speakers for 40 bucks or less. It's why I made the topic in the first place...Also, I don't care that the speakers are Apple design style or whatever. I just wanted some decent speakers at an affordable price.

12. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Well in that case, how about these Logitech for $34?

I've hooked up them up to watch movies on my MBP and they were A-OK in my book.