What would be of Apple without the iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, May 16, 2005.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I realizing that the mayor succes of Apple have been the iPod and the iTMS. But, what if both of them wouldn't be there?

I'n my opinion Apple had the chance to use the music system to mask what would be the failure of the G5 Powermac and Powerbook line. The only computer really worth it is the G5 iMac in therm of features and price.

We sould be at 3.6GHz of speed right now and we haven't reach the 3Ghz yet. The powerbooks still very slow and under G4 processors.

Just imagine a picture of Steve Jobs introducing the latest line of hardware without the confidence of the iTMS behind him. Actually, they are so aware of that that they decreased the price of the monitors to compensate the dissapointments.

Apple is about their computers, not about peripherals or MP3 players. And I see a curve of eveolution declining too much in the last 5 years. The G5 came out and ok but isnever as fast as the advertisments says, actually there are not G5 advertisments abcause is not faster than a regular PC.

Apple is succeding in their software too, specially with Final Cut Pro and that gain them a lot of the market.

I have to go but I'll still wondering about what would be the reality of Apple without the iPod and the iTMS.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Most of Apple's revenue is composed of hardware, not iPods.

They certainly are helping the bottom line, though .

I disagree with most of what you've said. ;)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some good points there. I think Apple is really just evolving as any good company should to what the various relevant markets want. The personal computer industry is highly competitive and companies like Dell, HP and IBM have struggled to make the huge profits they once did (in the 1990s). Apple has found a niche with the iPod and exploited it and if anything, it is that small white box which is funding their R & D on future Macs.

And all together now: "IBM makes the G5". Yell at them if you really want a faster processor.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't realise this. Sorry. I take what I said back. :eek:

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Don't get me wrong, the iPod has been a Godsend for this company. Tons of PR, the company is en vogue again...and almost 8 bilion (with a b) in the bank - cash.

But with that said, where else can you buy a PowerMac G5, iMac G5, PowerBook, or iBook?

We may think they are outdated and boring, but hardware sales have been up every quarter for the last 4.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Apple is an oddity, developing hardware and software in tandem allows then a level of integration unrivaled in the industry, but they are being clever with it.

Diversification is always good news for a small company, the fact that the iPod has been such a success does tend to mask the G5 powerbook problems, but I'd hardly call the G4 PowerBooks a failure, or the emacs or iBooks come to that.

Sure the PM G5's and the iMacs are better machines, but the PowerBook line is over 2 years old now, and sales are still relatively strong if falling.

I don't think Apple would be in any different a position without the iPod, poorer maybe, but no further on, the problems it faces are not ones that disappear when you throw money at them.

7. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

As far as I understand it the iPod accounts for over 40% of Apple's annual revenue. Is this not the case?

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

You are right, but some of the sales have come because people have heard of the iPod and then looked at a Mac ;)

9. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Regarless of the exact percentage the iPod sales contribute to the total revenue, I think that the Mac sales has benefitted a lot from the halo effect and will continue to do so in a close future. I personally doubt that Apple would have been around if it wasn't for the success of the iPod.