What would be the Bad things about getting a ibook compared to Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 10, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    Well damn i am 75% sure (Probaly will cange depending on my buget) that i will have to get a ibook even though i really like powerbook.. I know that 32mb Video ram might not be as good...

would do these things as soon as i have money
    1.Upgrade the ram fast to at least 512 if not more
    2. Apple care extended warrenty
    3. Applications i might want/Need...

What other bad points would i have? i know Warcraft 3 wants at LEAST 32mb Video ram, how about OS in general?

No DOOM ): needs at least a 1.5 ghz and 64 mb Video even though somone at apple said they play on 1.4 ghz powerbook with 32mb Video and 7-- ram..

Any other things i should know about just in case?

i will get powerbook if i can get money from Bday in June 17 hopefully they upgrade ibooks before then...

2. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
  3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    I assume from your previous posts you mean 12" PB. We have discussed this comparison in depth, even recently. Just look over the last couple pages of this forum if the search function isn't helping.

No, there is nothing bad about getting an iBook. It is simply a less powerful computer with a few less features for less money. There is no great mystery or hidden trick to this. iBooks have slower CPU, FSB, GPU, HDD, 1/2 the VRAM, no DVI, etc., but you save money annd get better battery life. iBooks comes stock with 1/2 the RAM, 1/2 the HDD, and no BT, but each can be upgraded (except for RAM, it's best to let Apple handle those upgrades at time of order). That's it. for complete details visit www.apple.com
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Which iBook are you thinking of getting and which PowerBook are you comparing it to? Your post is a little difficult to read with the poor grammar and spelling mistakes, so a friendly tip for the future would be to try and make your posts more clear so that people can better understand them and as a result help you out to a greater degree. :cool:
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The iBook and PowerBook 12 are basically the same machines in two different cases...

One machine comes with a consumer set of software the other machine comes with the professional software and spanning enabled.

However if you wan't AppleWorks without spending $79 for it, get the iBook.

People complain about that, they spend $2000 on a computer and whine when they have to spend $79 for software. :rolleyes:
  6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    Assuming you're comparing the two 12" models, the 12" iBook is noticeably bigger and heavier than the 12" PowerBook, and the video card is not as good. Other than that, they're practically the same machine. Others swear that the iBook gets better wireless performance, but I've seen the opposite with my machines. Of course, I could either have a particularly gifted PB, or a weak iBook.

If size/weight/videocard aren't high on your importance list, the iBook is the better deal.
  7. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    damn can't belive i forgot to put which ones i am looking at lol... Um its the powerbook in my sig vs.
    1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in

12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

I would be in a VERY TIGHT bugget if i went with powerbook... I mean for the nest 2 months i would i i don't really want to be.... Expecally since i want to add more ram and applications...
  8. macorama macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2005
    There's no way you'd look anything like as cool...
  9. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I would not get the 14" iBook just because I hate the screen. If you get the iBook, then why not the 12"? If you are going to "spring" for the 14" iBook, then I do not see the difficulty in coming up with $200 for the 12" Powerbook.
  10. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Keep in mind that the PB has tangible speed advantages in system bus (167 MHz to 133 MHz) and HDD (5400 rpm to 4200 rpm) in addition to the differences you noted in your last post. How tangible depends on what you're doing. Everything I said in my previous post still applies, except for HDD size. The 14" iBook is 1.3 pounds heavier, too, if that matters.

Some wil warn you that the 14" screen only has the same resolution as the 12", and this is true, but with documents such as .pdf and .doc that let you view at different % sizes, the 14" can effectively show you more in some situations.
  11. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca

true 133mhz to 166mhz is a difference and can really help, i am not getting a cheaper ibook because 30 GB of HD is not enough for me i have a 40 in my windows laptop and its almost full 60GB is plenty though...
  12. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    One step forward, two steps back.
    i faced the same choice a few months ago (well similar) on the cusp of the latest powerbook revisions. i went for the ibook 12" simply because that gave me more money to spend on peripherals. if you're already thinking about games i'd in fact recommend neither. to be frank, my bet would be to buy an xbox (or something similar) for games and an ibook 12". you could get both with the money. you have to ask yourself whether you'll really need the extra speed the powerbook will give you for video editing or whatever. the speed difference is negligable if you're not doing intense things. in terms of capacity maybe think of backing up or an external drive? (or an imac ! ) but, if of course you absolutely need the space good luck in your decision. :cool:
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Get the iBook unless you're doing hardcore stuff. If all you're doing is looking at pics, iTunes, MS Office, internet, email, and occasional Photoshop or photo editing, the HD speed and system bus won't make much of a difference for you and won't be worth the price difference.

Just get the iBook. Its basically a 12" Powerbook with a slower HD and less RAM. Actually, the fact that the PB comes with 512MB of RAM is just a recent phenomenon. The iBook may come with 512 MB as standard quite soon, so the only difference would be in HD speed, and things like DVI and monitor mirroring on the iBook (which limits the resolution on external displays to 1024 x 768 pixels, and no more than that).
  14. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    Can't forget about the (IMO) far superior keyboard and scratch resistant case.

...in the powerbook
  15. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Well, you could upgrade the iBook's HD to 60GB as a BTO online, but if you want the 14" then go for it. I just do not like it as mentioned before . . . :)
  16. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    i guess i will see if their are updates with ibooks if its enough Video ram, and Ram then i will just buy it. If not i will try to buy powerbook...

I think they will have to update Ram and Video ram since Tiger needs AT LEAST 256 and should have 64mb for core...