What would cause this fatal error - waking from sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbrown, Dec 14, 2005.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Right

1.25ghz Powerbook
    768mb ram
    Tiger 10.4.3 - fully up to date.
    80GB HD - in 2 bootable partitions - OS X 50 ( main ) and OS X 20

I have been suffering from an intermitant problem with waking from sleep mode. This seems ( not 100% sure ) to be linked with putting it to sleep by closing the lid.

At its mildest, it manifests itself by doing this. I have my blank sleep screen and tap a key to be presented with my password box. Type in my pw, and it wakes up. About 5 seconds later the screen goes blank again and I'm back to the beginning. This can happen a few times, then it stays on and all is normal. This happens once in a while.

In a worse case, it will sometimes not show me the password entry box no matter what I do, and I have to force restart it - loosing unsaved data. This happens rarely.

At its WORST ( happened 3 days ago ) - it does as above, but will not reboot fully. Goes through the grey screen, then hangs on the blue screen ( now sometimes its a solid blue screen BEFORE there is the progress bar, and sometimes its a solid blue screen AFTER the progress bar,just before I'd expect the desktop to start loading ). This has only happened twice.

On the last case - after trying a few times, I booted from my second partition. Both volumes mounted fine, and I could see/access all data. I ran Disk Utility - and it reported no problems at all with my misbehaving volume 50. Also did the same from the install disk .

I then ran Disk Warrior - which said that it could not fix my system as it was too damaged!!

So I was forced to re-install my system from scratch - choosing to archive and install - keeping all my settings. This worked fine - and I updated the system again to 10.4.3

Any thoughts as to what would cause this??

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Since the reinstall, does Disk Utility say your hard disk is fine when you verify it? How about Disk Warrior too? :)

3. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Waking from sleep problems are very often caused by bad RAM. You have two sticks in your machine - I'd suggest taking each out in turn (it'll be fun with only the 256!) and seeing if that fixes your problems.

jx

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks guys -

Disk Utility still says all is fine. And Disk Warrior still says there are problems
    and it cant repair the disk.

Would this be because it is version 3 thats been around awhile, and it cant deal with Tiger??

Interesting about the ram, but I've had no other ram related problems and IIRC it has passed Techtool 4 ram tests.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, RAM can go bad though and Tiger updates (especially 10.4.3 FWIW) have been known to bring out a failing stick's bad habits (not letting you wake from sleep). I would recommend running fsck first. Since Disk Warrior's so old, I wouldn't worry too much about what it's finding.

Once fsck has done its thing, then take the RAM out IMO. :)