What would destroy Apple?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by steebu, Oct 18, 2005.

1. steebu macrumors member

Jul 28, 2005
    So Apple's got the hottest digital music player of all time, have 75% marketshare of all mp3 players with the iPod brand, and big media's attention.

Dare we make comparisons to the demise of the Macintosh? Will history repeat itself?

Who/what would destroy Apple? Or for that matter, how could Apple destroy itself?

I dare you to think.
  2. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    Probably a small well placed atomic device would do the trick.
  3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Apple is enjoying a renaissance and I would prefer to skirt the issue of its destruction, be it from within or external forces. In the kill or be killed technology field, all things are possible ... let us help keep the positive energy flowing for as long as possible.
  4. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
  5. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    A Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Ironically on a Monday too, right before they would've released the product that would've saved them. The iSpider.
  6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004

I also think that if there was some sort of virus or attack to OS X which would make headlines - that might make people think - oh no, we've got another XP on our hands.

Keep the vulnerabilities away Apple!!
  7. Mac4Brains macrumors member

Oct 18, 2005
    Adobe can

If Adobe stopped makeing stuff for the Mac. It would end Apple with in half a year.
  8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish

What a beauty.

It was a joke.... right? RIGHT!?!?!
  9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

It would certainly make a lot of people pause for thought. Like it or not, as far as selling computers (not iPods) are concerned, Apple has been kept in business by the print and other creative industries throughout its existence. These are the industries that purchase Macs by the dozens at a time...

Look how shirty Apple got when Quark was dragging their heels on an OSX version of QuarkXpress -- Apple knows where its bread and butter core market for Macs lies. When Fred Ibrahimi of Quark started making extremely disparaging remarks about the Mac platform a few years ago, Apple got extremely nervous about it. Of course, this was when Quark had a near monopoly on the page layout market.

If Photoshop, Illustrator or Acrobat was no longer available for Mac, then yes, I could imagine many studios switching to Windows. Not that they'd be entirely happy about it.
  10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    none of that means apple would go bust in 6 months though does it. just because adobe pulled its products it wouldnt mean it would bring apple down in in 24 weeks.
  11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    No, it wouldn't. Not in 6 months... which I was careful to avoid agreeing with. ;)
  12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I think BakedBeans pointed out the "6 months" part of the post because he probably realized that Adobe has a good chance to make Apple Crumble.
  13. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Yes, Adobe is big. Especially now that they've subsumed Macromedia. Which is why the Photo Pro rumors have so much traction. Even if Photo Pro is real, there still wouldn't be a decent illustration, page layout, or Web design program without Adobe.
  14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Nice one. I always like a bit of word-play. :)
    Of course, there's always Apple Cobbler(s) as well.
  15. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    No chance of Adobe giving Apple the flick now that Apple have finally gone Intel just as Adobe wanted.
  16. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    oh be quite you apple tart ;)

adobe is always going to want a slice of the apple pie!

anyway, i think adobe would be a bunch of cox to squeeze apple' juice like that!

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    I also think that the MBU over at Microsoft is very important to Apple's survival and growth through switchers. Without it, there is no VPC and, more importantly, no Office. And without "Microsoft Office" how will we open the office files that 90% (random figure) of the world creates. And it doesnt seem like there is a great alternative out there for the masses.
  18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Or something more mundane like root rot, fruit flies, or a simple arsonist lighting the orchard on fire.
  19. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    well, if there is no microsoft office, then apple's own office products would be a lot better and simaler to microsofts'. without a good office program, apple will crumble, so they will have to create their own office suite. and things would be very very different. maybe worse, but maybe even better. if apple has a very good reason to make a complete office suite, then they will.

the biggest threat to apple is a possibility that a assasination attempt by a group of ex-military mercenaries hired by Bill gates to continue his growinge control of the world. soon he will create a statue of himself as high as the twin towers and force us to bow down to it. (just to note, i don't make fun of the bible. i use the bible to make fun of him)
  20. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    If Apple made it so Apple Works opened and saved in MS Office formats, and iT/QT opened and read Microsoft-formatted media files, then they wouldn't need to rely on on Microsoft for very much at all. The only reason I have (shudder) Windows Media Player and Office on my iBook is to be able to pass other people's work across my desk.
  21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Apple never had as much success with computers (the Mac peaked at about 10 per cent, Apple II at about 15) as they do now with toys. This is the first time they have really been dominant in a mass market, so there really isn't any history to repeat.
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
  23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Radio Shack could buy Apple and rename the iMac G5 the TRS-8000, and rename the iPods the Optimus MP3 player.
  24. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Actually, I think the Mac peaked at around 20%. This was back in the 68k days. Probably in the early 90s.

But I can't be bothered to verify the things I say, so maybe you're right.
  25. StinktOldC macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2005
    The armpit of North London, UK
    very good Beanie......like it!