Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Well the title says it all. I was bored and wondered if there was a limit to the length of a window? It appears there isn't, but I wasn't going to spend any more time dragging the window out.

Here are the beautiful screenshots I took.

;)

Attachments

• safari.jpg
    safari.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 247
  • expose.jpg
    expose.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 286

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I see you are downloading Macromedia Flash Pro 8 and Dreamweaver from Bittorrent :D How naughty ;)

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
the width and height of windows are stored as integers.. either 32-bit or 64-bit ones.. (i'm not sure which, i'd assume 32-bit..) so the maximum would be either 2^32 or 2^64 pixels -- lots longer than you could stretch ;)

remember, nothing is infinite in computers!

`mike

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
cait-sith said:
the width and height of windows are stored as integers.. either 32-bit or 64-bit ones.. (i'm not sure which, i'd assume 32-bit..) so the maximum would be either 2^32 or 2^64 pixels -- lots longer than you could stretch ;)

I'm not absolutely sure that's true. In Cocoa [window frame].size.width is a float. What the Window Server uses, I'm not sure but Apple is very fond of floats and not so fond of ints!

See this post from one of the AppKit developers on Apples love of floats!

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Mac_Freak said:
I see you are downloading Macromedia Flash Pro 8 and Dreamweaver from Bittorrent :D How naughty ;)

Haha, actually I got dreamweaver and flash from the macromedia website (much faster) and the file you saw on my desktop was supposed to include a flash tutorial. I couldn't find any video tutorials that didn't include dreamweaver and flash with it so... I don't support piracy in general, just do it sometimes for educational purposes, who is going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a program they don't even know yet? Not me. I normally like to become decent with the app. before purchasing it. The trial versions are just obnoxiously annoying with all the pop ups about registering and how much time you have left. Why not just have a free version available for strictly educational purposes and have some sort of a watermark, like how the maya app. does it?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Actually, there is a way to cinfirm the maximum possible size of a window in OS X. Applescript has commands in the finder that change the window's size according to x and y parameters. Try to change width and height using applescript and see what happens...

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
robbieduncan said:
I'm not absolutely sure that's true. In Cocoa [window frame].size.width is a float. What the Window Server uses, I'm not sure but Apple is very fond of floats and not so fond of ints!

That's interesting. What are the units of width and height then for Cocoa applications?

I do a lot of microcontroller stuff, usually there is no FPU -- that means fixed point arithmetic. Floats are a luxury!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
cait-sith said:
That's interesting. What are the units of width and height then for Cocoa applications?

I do a lot of microcontroller stuff, usually there is no FPU -- that means fixed point arithmetic. Floats are a luxury!

For you that's true but on the desktop (and laptop obviously) floating point performance gets a lot more attention that integer so it can be much faster to use floats these days.

Altivec (and SSE) are basically for floats only so you can do multiple float operations faster that you can do a single integer one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.