What would improve the DS the most?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ddrueckhammer, Jul 23, 2006.

?

What would improve the DS the most?

1. More/Better Fighting Games

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. More/Better Sports Games

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. More/Better Racing Sims

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. More/Better Online FPS Games (besides Metroid)

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. More/Better Flying/Dogfighting Games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. More/Better RPGs

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. More/Better Accessories (mp3/mpeg4 player, DS Lite rumble pack etc.)

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  8. Online Downloadable Content for Opera Browser

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I was thinking about what Nintendo could do to make the DS better. Here is the list of things I would like to see. What is on your list?

Checklist to make the DS better:

1. More fighting games (Super Smash Brothers DS, port Bleach from Japan, new Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat game etc).
    2. Better sports games (Improve EA titles and come out with Mario Sports titles. Hoops is a good start. Mario Tennis DS?, Strikers?).
    3. Get better racing sims (maybe a port of the original Gran Turismo?, Test Drive, or a better NFS game, Carbon may fill this gap).
    4. Get another online FPS besides Metroid. Too bad the 007 game isn't that good.
    5. Better Flying/Dog Fighting games (Starfox/DS Air may fill this void).
    6. More RPGs (FFIII, Zelda, and GBA FF ports will help but the DS needs more).
    7. Bring the Play-Yan (mp3/mpeg4) attachment to the US/Europe.
    8. Publish downloadable demos/content for Opera browser.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The only tiny thing I want is WPA support. But I don't own one quite yet. I do want to get one in the next year though.

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I really hope that there will be at least one good, solid sports DS game. There's none out there atm.

4. kinesin macrumors regular

The games will come in time, either direct from Nintendo or via a 3rd party.

My wishlist (hardware):
    WPA support
    802.11g support - faster single cart multi-player and wouldn't slow my vlan down.
    Brightness switching inside the games.
    Firmware screen overlay low battery warning, cause I still miss the red light.
    Provide a USB charge cable in the box

(Software)
    Ability to make the DS act as wifi remote for airtunes/front row etc etc Something like the Sonos system - might be possible already by DSLinux and homebrew etc.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Maybe this is wishful thinking but I'd like some kind of GPS device. I'd love the DS to display maps and have the ability to mount it on your dash and say, "turn left at intersection", ect. I think it may also need a louder set of spekers.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, I have no desire to use a DS as a navigation device, but do you remember how in Japan, there were those little dating game devices, and they had local proximity sensors, and talked to each other to see if the holder was compatible with your profile?

DS + GPS + ad-hoc WiFi could make for some *very* fun killer app games. :) Especially in big cities. Actually, you almost don't need GPS for that, since you can use the broadcast WiFi signal, but still, it would be really interesting if GPS somehow was incorporated into games. :)

7. socamx macrumors 6502

You forgot "Nothing" on the poll. My DS is perfectly fine as-is and I wouldn't change anything.

8. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

how about compatibility with gameboy and gameboy color games.

in-game brightness controlls and wpa would be nice too.

all of your options are about games, not the ds itself. The hardware is great minus a few small details.

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I wouldn't want a DS as a remote though...

10. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i said accessories but i would actually probably make the screens bigger/wider.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Already done, there is remote software to connect your DS via WiFi (don't know if there's Mac software though) and map it's buttons to keyboard buttons.

I've used it to play various 2D games using my DS as a controller.

12. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ah sorry, I figured even the greats can use some improvement...

I agree WPA and some other small hardware enhancement might be good though..

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

One thing that I think could be improved with the DS is the amount of rumble pak compatible games. At the moment only Metroid Prime: Hunters, Metroid Prime: Pinball and Mario and Luigi: Partners In Time are compatible. I would happily re-buy some of my favourite games if they were re-released with rumle pak support e.g. Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. (Not that I think this will happen).
    But hopefully more future releases will work with it, espescially Star Fox DS as the N64 version came with a free rumble pak.
    Also I think the rumble pak should be released in more colours than just black, should come free with the DS Lite instead of that GBA port filler and should be sold in places other than Japan. (You can import one from Lik-Sang if you really want one like I did)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think hardware wise, it's perfect for me. I have no need for Wifi security, no need for it to be an MP3 player etc.

What I voted for was More/better RPGs. I spent a lot of my life on Final Fantasy GBA games, Golden Sun series and Pokemon series. I know it takes time for RPGs to come out as they're one of the longest genres to make (in all planning, making, testing depts). A killer RPG. Golden Sun is the greatest RPG I have ever played, this shrinking world, links to mythology, epic story about a locked away power the inhabitants have, and of course the fantastic twists in character plotlines. The simple battle system was great too, no silly nonsense yet could still customise so much in players. Oh and the music (la livero :eek: :eek: :eek: ). Good. oh, and the spine tingling moment when you reach the furthest north point on the map.

I suppose we have Pokemon Diamond and Pearl coming, which are going to sell by the bucket load as Pokemon games always do. And with WiFi it's every non-Japanese Pokemon players wet dream come true. I'll spent a lot of time with that.

Camelot... come on!

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My request is simple as this is my first ever gaming system of any sort; tt'd be nice if the system and all games were...

cheaper! :D :eek:

16. socamx macrumors 6502

I'm not completely disregarding what other people would like either, but for me and I'm sure for many others it is probably perfectly fine the way it is.

Considered all the points brought up so far and I don't exactly miss any of them or need them. Playing ALL the old GameBoy games might be a perk, but I'll just stick with emulation for those, no need for it to do them for me. Playing the old games out in public I wouldn't do, they'd stick out too much and I'd be afraid of it getting in the way or jamming on something.

17. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Simple. Althought I will someday buy me a DS (in the next few months or so) I will buy a DS the INSTANT the smash bros game is released, esp if it's online.

18. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The biggies coming in RPGs are FFIII, Crystal Chronicals, and Zelda. I would like to see a new Golden Sun game or some more Tactical RPGs like Shining Force or Final Fantasy Tactics or Tales of Phantasia etc...

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think it pretty good right now.. i'd like Super Smash Brother for it.. but thats it

20. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

As much as I like SSB I would like to see an excellent wifi enabled fighting game without Mario in it. As I said ealier...maybe Bleach, Street Fighter, Jump Superstars, Mortal Kombat etc. I love SSB but I don't want the DS to get over saturated with Mario games no matter how good they are. We already have NSMB, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, Super Princess Peach, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Warioware, Yoshi Touch & Go and upcoming Mario Sports titles & Yoshi 2. I say enough Mario already. (I count Yoshi, Wario etc titles as Mario titles...) One thing I love about franchises like Zelda is Nintendo doesn't overuse them....And look at poor Kid Icarus....All dressed up and no place to go...

21. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Serious competition, 'cause the PSP ain't it.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

serious competition would be great for Nintendo at this point. Maybe iRivers new system could compete? Just the closer the competition the cheaper and better everything gets for the consumer. I would love to see Nintendo backed into a wall with the DS, just to see what they would pull. An MMO Zelda? Port/massive update of Ocarina of Time? A new Mario All-Stars? Motion tilt cart working in more games to build us up for the Wii?

The Wii is what happens when Nintendo is backed into a corner in console land.

23. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Really? Has the red light been removed from the Lite? That's poor, seeing as very few games warn you. I think the only game that warns of impending loss of power, is AC:WW.

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Nope red lights still there alright.