What would keep a computer from going to sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, Jan 27, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The eMac for awhile has had issues going to sleep. I normally log out (or the kids do) and then select sleep. It starts, then wakes back up. Sometimes if you say "sleep" about 4 times, it finally will.

I thought something on the USB hub might be waking it up - but it does it randomly when that is disconnected too. I've had some flakey issues with the USB side - but nothing that i can repeat to call and log a call about.

Nothing changed after a format of the hard drive and reinstall of the OS either.

It is under Apple Care until December, so if it's a hardware issue I'll be covered... i just don't know what to try - or what they might suggest!

Thanks for any input -
    Tracey

eMac G4 1.25mhz, 1gb ram, 10.4.8 - if you need anything else let me know. oh the hub has USB hard drive, card reader, wacom tablet, 2 printers on it.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Do you have any Bluetooth devices? They will wake a computer up. Just to try something, turn off the following:

1. Go go system preferences and then click on the Energy Saver portion and then click on the Options tab. Uncheck the Wake for Administrator access.

2. Go to the Bluetooth System Preference and then click on the settings tab and make sure allow this device to wake this computer is uncheck. (Note: If you don't have any bluetooth devices then these may all be grayed out)

5. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Isn't there an option for computers to be woken up through the network or something? Maybe something there has gone goofy on you.

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you read my post you would know the answer to that question.....

7. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I"ll check this one right now.

No BT installed on the computer.

Like I said, it's just sitting there at the pick the user to log on screen, then you say sleep.... and it doesn't!

8. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, turning off the wake for Admin thing did nothing.

I had read on Apple that sometimes HP printers do it - so i made sure that was off and it didn't help either.

It did go to sleep this time with the Hub unplugged. When I plugged it back in with everything OFF, it still wouldn't go to sleep. It's done it for 2 different hubs, i replaced the other one because of the funky USB issues. So maybe it's still just the USB port being funky.

UGH. I hate calling on this kind of crap - it never does it when you need it to - and I can't say anything other than, the USB seems to be flakey at times....

9. iFrozen macrumors newbie

Waking from sleep over and over again...

Hey TraceyS/FL
    Did you ever get this problem figured out? My macbook Pro does it all the time too. Drives me batty. I just ignore it and eventually it will go to sleep for real, most times.
    Mick

10. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

It is working now - but there is nothing but the keyboard connected to it. I pulled the hub and put it on my MBP (which is having funky wake from sleep issues).

But pulling the hub off the eMac has "cured" the problem - it goes to sleep on it's own, goes and STAYS asleep when i tell it to... overall, acts like it did "before".

I haven't needed to address it again - but i want to have the USB ports checked before Apple Care is up on it in December. I"ve had issues for awhile with it and thought there was problems on that side.

So i'm not much help at the moment :(