What would my fellow MR members do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 20, 2006.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Im getting a 15 inch MBP in the future and have some ideas regarding my future set up. Im thinking of getting either a 20 inch ACD to go with my MBP or instead of the ACD just getting a 17 inch or 20 inch iMac. I love those dang imacs. So desirable. It would be cool to have two mac no wait 3 mac computers (including my beloved ibook) so i like the idea of getting the imac. But at the same time i think im just as in love with the ACD. So ill leave it up to you guys and any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. :D

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Your iBook will still cover basic portable needs, but you need to upgrade the RAM to at least 1 GB.

The iMac will give you a beautiful display, much larger and faster storage, considerably faster processing and dedicated graphics.

You could buy a screaming iMac 24" with 2 GB RAM and 256 MB VRAM for the price of a well equipped MBP, then buy a leopard powered Penryn processor
    notebook after they are released some time next year.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If I were you, I wouldnt get MBP now, but get a 20 or even 24" iMac.

However, if I were me :D I'd get a MBP! I loooove those things, and besides I need a laptop now :)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How much time are you going to spend doing processor intensive tasks on the move? Or while portable, is it usually just Mail/Safari/iTunes running with the occasional iLife app?

If most of your intensive app usage is at your desk, then get the iMac. More processor power, more storage, more screen for your money. Keep your beloved iBook for basic portable usage - and upgrade that next year sometime. Then in theory, you can upgrade each computer every other year or so and always have something pretty current.

If you need the power wherever you are or you want to upgrade more frequently, then get the MBP and the screen.

I have an old Powerbook but I'm planning on getting the iMac for home, keeping the Powerbook til it dies for basic tasks/surfing on the sofa etc and then buying a basic Macbook to replace it.

5. Carguy172 macrumors member

It depends on What you need, do you need another computer or is the the mbp and Ibook good enough because instead of the Imac you could buy a 24" more ram for you mbp and even software if you need it

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't buy 2 computer's at the same time. In a few years, you'll have to replace both instead of just one.

Get the ACD.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

He has a 1.2 GHz single processor iBook G4.

That is still a fine little notebook for portable needs, but with only 32 MB VRAM
    and an 80 GB HD he could certainly use a more powerful desktop with a great display.

The only reason I would buy an ACD is if he was planning to go for a MacPro Tower
    in the near future.

8. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Im already buying a MBP, im just trying to decide if i should buy a ACD to go with it, or an imac to go with it.

On a side note.. How do i quote more than one person in a single post?

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you have your heart set on buying an MBP and still have money left over, then
    buying the ACD would be better IF.... you are planning to add a MacPro to your
    workflow eventually.

Miles makes a good point on buying two machines too close together.

If you really NEED better performance and storage the iMac is your better solution
    keeping things as affordable as possible.

I would review your realistic portable needs.

The iMacs are pretty much at top form right now, while the notebooks still have issues with heat and all the pitfalls of Rev "A"

I would buy the 24" iMac and wait for the Penryn powered notebooks.

Or....Buy a maxed out BlackBook and the ACD, adding a MacPro after we see what happens with Quad Cores and Leopard.

10. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I really dont have plans to buy a mac pro anytime in the future. I move a lot which is why its so important for me to be portable. Im not buying the MBP now, ill be waiting for santa rosa.

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Take a breather and max out the RAM in your iBook.

That alone will be a major improvement.

You already have a notebook capable of running Leopard once it arrives.

You might consider getting a WD MyBook Pro external HD for additional
    FASTER storage.

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

All of your choices are good. If you have a laptop that gets the job done for you, then I would not feel compelled to get another one immediately. Personally, I think the screen is everything. So, the iMac might be a good pick. If you can swing it, a Mac Pro with a 23" ACD would definitely keep you smiling for a long time. Also, I would not hesitate to buy the current 2.66. I have one and find it almost impossible to stress the Woody's. I do not think the quad cores are going to be a major step up. We need a new bus design before we can really benefit from all of these processors. With memory being so dear, I think the current Mac Pro is all the machine most people can handle. Make sure you get the X1900 upgrade to drive that beautiful ACD.

13. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

So it seems most of you guys recomend just keeping my ibook and maxing out the ram. Then buy a 20 inch imac and the MBP will come later?

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The iMac certainly gives you the best bang for your buck and so far it seems to
    be a strong contender in reliability and overall user satisfaction.

AppleCare is extremely affordable for this model, so that should tell you that
    Apple is also fairly confident that these machines will be reasonably trouble free.

As long as you configure your system with 2 GB RAM and the 256MB GPU, you've
    got plenty of kick for quite a few pro applications.

You'll still be able to transfer files back and forth with your iBook as needed
    for most situations, so I really think you'll be happy with this combination.