what would you all do with a $1000 (cdn) and this computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gjrd, Jan 20, 2004.

1. gjrd macrumors newbie

hey people.
    i have a dual 867/g4, 133mhz, L2 cache 256 kb, L3 cache 1mb, 512 ram, 32 video card, combo drive, and a 17inch lcd apple flat display...
    now, i have a $1000. what should i do?
    Option A - buy applecare, 64 video card, andother 512 ram....
    Option B - 2 gigs of ram, 64 video card, ilife...
    Option C - sell the machine and upgrade to a g5 1.6 or 1.8 (which may require a bit more money)
    Option D - just applecare
    Option E - buy a dog.
    Option F - something else???
    i use my machine for photoshop/illustrator/quark work, storage, a few games (ahem...halo) and thats about it.
    Please help. my warranty runs out by next week, i need to make up my mind...and im finding it terribly difficult.
    thank you

2. zeebee macrumors newbie

IMO, you wouldn't need 2GB for your work but that's something you'd be better suited to answer.

So I'd vote for Option A

What 32M video card do you have currently? If you opt to upgrade, would you be interested in selling your old card?

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This is an easy one, buy a dog!!! It's man's best friend for crying out loud. Just make sure he doesn't pee on your computer though.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Buy a Sony Aibo. That is if they can be hand for under 1k. You get the best of both world, a computer dog. Ruff. ;) If I were in your shoes I'd probably sell the computer and save up for a G5. That is if you can be without a computer for the time being.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i would put either a dual 1.25 in it or a single 1.4 in it, get a decent card for it say a ati 9000 or geforce4 titanium and another 512 of ram. presto you are good to go for another 2 years. or you could wait and put that cash on the next G5 tower or Imac they have to come out with one of these days.

6. klyau6 macrumors member

doggie!!! you'll form a love that even your comp won't enable you to have!

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Re: what would you all do with a $1000 (cdn) and this computer

[post deleted]

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Re: Re: what would you all do with a $1000 (cdn) and this computer

my advice... get a second display and upgrade your video card (if that's even necessary; if your card supports dual displays than stick with it). dual displays come in REAL handy when working in design programs and can make everyday stuff (surfing, iTunes, etc) a lot more productive.

oh, and get another 512 of RAM.

peace.

btw- applecare is usually a waste on tower, but that's just me :D.

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Applecare. Now. ASAP. repairs are not cheap and especially on a 17 Apple LCD. You will be sending me a thank you email in a few months.. bang for the buck its a no brainer.

Then max out the ram and get a free dog from the paper or an animal shelter.

You the man.

- Doc

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Re: Re: what would you all do with a $1000 (cdn) and this computer

Doc's got a point.

I vote A. Get the Applecare. Get the card. Get the memory. And if you need more, save up and get some later.

Same with the free dog. Lots of good / nice strays need a home.

12. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Get a dog from an animal shelter, and then save up for the next revision of the G5. Free dog (who needs a home) and a G5! Can't beat that!

13. bannedagain macrumors member

First off I doubt you could buy another 2 GB of RAM since the system is limited to 2GB. Seconldy it really depends on what life you are expecting out of this system, Thirdley it depends on what you use the system for.

Personally if I were to buy a mac (which isn't likley) I would by the Twin 1.8GHz G5 with the minimum RAM (Buy it elsewhere,) and the Radeon 9600Pro Graohics card. I'm guessing you already have the monitor. Also you get ilife with the new system, and are ready for 64-bit computing.

The system you have is very dated by the standards of today (180nm cpu core) and a sluggish FSB 133MHz, and SD RAM. Go a new system, you might have to save a little longer but I assure you it will be well worth it in the long run. And use your current system as a server or palm it off to a family member.