What would you buy G4 or G5?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArmouredGuitar, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

I have been looking into some pricing. I found g4's 1.42ghz with 2GB ram, 120GB HDD, nvidia 128mb graphic card for only $1100 (They are refurbished, but can still buy 3 year extended warrenty)

Or a G5 which we all know is alot more then $1100!

Give tell me your choice considering the price of these computers

2. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

the g4 sounds like a nice deal, but with new games like DOOM 3, i doubt that a g4 could run it, either you go high roller on a g4 or a bum on a g5, either way its more of a personal choice, id save money and get me the g5 though, the only computer that is going to be using a g4 this year is the eMac, so youll feel out dated...dont count in the pbook or the ibook

3. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

i'd love to have that G4 for that price. Where did you find it?

4. applekid macrumors 68020

If you're really low on cash, I guess a G4 is a better choice. But if it's really too much to get a new low-end PowerMac, you should start saving up some more cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Dual 1.42 GHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 Pro could play Doom 3 reasonably well. (The GeForce4Ti might still be okay, too) I doubt the G5 will be the minimum. I'd say a 1.25 GHz G4 is the minimum. But that is my own speculation.

5. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

If "reasonably well" is lowest resolution with lowest settings on everything getting an average 30 frames per second....I would agree with you.

The lowest specs for pc is 1.5 ghz......just check out this link to see how a 1.5 ghz pc did: http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDU=

Although...the article is with a 64 MB video card (that's why I raised the average fps to 30 instead of 22.2....pure speculation)

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. This is the (at least) 3rd thread you've started on this topic! You're basically asking the same question over and over, but concentrating on different aspects. Try to keep it in one thread, please.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Let me just thrown in these comments before this goes off-topic.

First off, Doom 3 will most likely support SMP on the Mac and from seeing Quake 3, id uses multiple processor very well. Next, the graphics card in the benchmark is the absolute minimum. The G4 above has a fairly good graphics card. Lowest settings and lowest resolutions will most likely stay well above 30 FPS perhaps even get close to 60 FPS. I expect some extras could be turned on and even a higher resolution while still maintaining 30 FPS even with a Dual 1.42 GHz G4 and a GeForce4Ti.

I find most of the people here underestimating the G4s too much. Sure, I'd go for a G5 for gaming, but don't count out of the 1.25 GHz G4s and higher just yet. Some RAM and a GeForce4Ti or Radeon 9800 Pro will still take it places. Most of what I said is still speculative, sure, but my gut feeling says the higher-end G4s will be fine.

8. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

i just got the cpu in my signiture and let me say OMG!!!! i am coming from a g4 1.25 ghz. If you are remotely intrested in playing games get a G5. Any thing less would uncivilized. YOU GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH WITH G5s !!!!!

P.S. get ram from www.crucial.com

9. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

G4 or G5

I'd have to agree with the last guy. I returned my dual 1.8 G5 after one day after having realized it didn't have PCI-X and took home a dual 2.0 instead and I have to say it is NOTHING like the G4 system I bought a year and a half ago. Of course who would expect them to be similar?

As for gaming there is no comparison. The G5 if you can afford it will be your better system. It will really shine when developers code games to take advantage of both processors. I think Quake 3 already does. So far everything I've tried to run, excluding Halo and Black Hawk Down, has ran very well.

The performance of BHD I have to blame on its engine, and I'm not sure what to think about Halo. I have not upgraded to 1.05 yet after reading the stories from others about it locking up and such.

10. TheGimp macrumors 6502

He doesn't necessary care about playing Doom3. Even though I am happy with my Dual G5 1.8 Rev A refurb 512MB 160gb HD (bought 1 month ago for $1799 incl. 1 year warranty), I recommend going with the dual G4 if you think you'll be able to afford another computer in 1-2 years. Within 6-12 months, I think you'll be able to pick up a used system like mine for around $1100-$1200. Single 1.8 G5's will be even cheaper and still faster than the Dual G4 (considering the bus and ram speeds).

11. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Actually, scratch that. This IS the gaming forum, so you probably DO want to play Doom3 and so in that case try to get a dual G4 with an older video card to save money, and then spend what you save (and then some) to get an AGP 2x/4x Ati Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card on ebay.

You have no hope of playing Doom3 at better framerates or resolution than on an XBOX unless you have at least a Radeon 9700 Pro, regardless of whether you get a G4 or G5.

12. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

XBOX Doom 3?

The XBOX is a nice piece of hardware but come on.... it is a Pentium III 733 with a GeForce 3 graphics chipset utilizing 64 MB of memory that is being shared with the processor. Any version of Doom 3 that shows up on the XBOX is going to be watered down and really can't fairly be compared to a PC/Mac version. Doom 3's requirements alone are nearly three times what the XBOX can handle as it is.

I wish I had been able to have some firsthand experience with the newer G4 systems. I bet they are far superior to the Quicksilver version I had. You do get 100 - 133 Mhz buses on the new systems compared to the 33 Mhz I had. I can only imagine they will do a fairly decent job, with a potent video card installed, of playing games. I would think it safe to assume that id will set the minimums for D3 at a highend G4 so going with one of those systems is probably safe if you want to set D3 as your benchmark game.

The bottom line is what you can afford to do. you have to be rich to keep up with the changes in computer tech so I guess you just have to find the balance that you can afford. Like others have said before, I think a G4 system equipped with a 9800XT will be a good gaming system.

13. TheGimp macrumors 6502

The best solution for a tight budget is to route whichever system you end up getting to a TV via the Radeon 9800 Pro's composite or S-VIdeo out and play Doom 3 at 800x600 or lower and medium detail. That way you'll get a "full impact experience" (quoting John Carmack).

14. pighuddle macrumors member

I thought you had a dual 2.5. :confused:

I don't get TheGimp. Why would you take time to write thorough but fake G5 2.5 review and then a huffy denial when called on it? Is it just a slow week or something - as it obviously is for me?

The Gimp's Fake review here

Huffy denial here.

15. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

If you are looking for a cheap way to play games. I wouldn't get a G5(to expensive), I wouldn't get a G4(too incredibly slow)... I would get a cheap PC(both zippy and cheap.. although not stable :)). Enjoy..

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Low on cash? Heck, even if you have a lot of cash, the G5s are ridiculously expensive...

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Price is important but the G4 is going away fast, at least in desktops. You'll want the 64-bit processing down the road, when they start optimizing games for those chips. Even with a Radeon 9800 the G4 still has huge memory bandwith problems.

18. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I agree - the benefits of buying a G5 over the G4 outweigh the financial scraping you might have to do to afford one. Spending less money on a G4 is a purely short-term benefit - get the G5 (I know I want one) :D