What would you do?? A possible trade...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FF_productions, May 24, 2006.

  1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #1
    Hey guys, I've got a decision to make, and I figure you guys could help me.

    I've been given an offer to trade my iMac G5, here are it's specs
    1.8 Ghz
    1 Gig of Ram
    80 Gig Hard Drive (I can take it out if I want to and keep all my software and stuff)
    SuperDrive
    64 Mb's Graphics
    17 Inch
    Rev A

    FOR

    PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth)
    Upgraded to a 1.4 ghz processor
    2 gigs of ram
    120 gig drive, plus my 80 gig drive, plus he will repair my 250 gig drive for free
    SuperDrive
    128 Mb's Graphics
    17 inch LCD monitor included.

    What do you guys think? My only problem is that it is a Sawtooth, and it is such an old model...guys help me.
     
  2. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #2
    I've also been given an offer for a PowerMac G5 that is pretty much the same as my iMac, but I'm waiting for the "trader" to respond and accept the possible trade.
     
  3. wPod macrumors 68000

    wPod

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #3
    go for the G5! i think it would be a noticeable step back going from the G5 to the G4
     
  4. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #4
    I sure would, it would be a step back to go a G4, I'm just waiting for the guy to respond, he was already interested in trading, I'm just waiting...
     
  5. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
  6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

    plinkoman

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    i take it that's no dual, right?

    that's the only thing that would make me take that, there are just too many bottlenecks you'll have to deal with with such an old machine. A quicksilver or mdd on the other hand I would jump at, but your iMac G5 is leaps and bounds faster than a sawtooth.
     
  7. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #7
    I really do wish it was a dual. Apparently it is upgradeable to be a dual but I am not really willing to buy a processor upgrade. The fact that the sawtooth is about 6-7 years old, that really makes we want to back up and gasp for air. Hopefully this guy with a G5 will accept the offer.

    One question about a G5 PowerMac:
    I have a 250 gig ata-133 hard drive, can I stick it in the G5 along with the system drive or do I need something else??
     
  8. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

    Winstonp

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    g5 for g4? Horrible deal. Unless you're running a server or something and need to incase half a dozen hard drives. You're going to notice a lag...
     
  9. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #9

    I need the hard drives for space, because I'm running Final Cut Pro and need a PowerMac of some sort. So I wouldn't say it is a horrible deal considering he is wiling to recover my hard drive as well for free. It's just the processor and the fact that it is a sawtooth that make the deal a bit uneven
     
  10. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #10
    Well, G4 just got traded so that will no longer be an option. I'll report back if I trade for the G5 PowerMac or not.
     

Share This Page