What Would You Do With 3.5 Billion?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
  2. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    Most of it into various bank accounts to gain interest. I would give some to charity. Then the sort of luxuries - various macs, cars, houses etc. :p
  3. 36183 Guest

Jun 24, 2004
    if i got that kind of money, i would first buy my parents a better home to help my dad in his condition. then spend the rest of my starting my own business and investing some in other businesses and assets.

I am guessing that Mr.J would use the money to expand apple or maybe buy out some smaller firms.

it would be hard to predict what a person would do with those kind of sums, but guessing can be fun.
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Make more Donald Duck cartoons... DD was always my favourite. I relate to the hissy-fits. :D

Apple/Pixar/Jobs is cooking something up big and I mean BIG behind the scenes. Throw in a strategic alliance with another big media player and MS will be getting nervous.
  5. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    Lots of things involving at least 30 college freshman:D

Actually i would prob give most of it away and maybe keep 25 million. WTH can anyone do with that much money???:confused:
  6. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Enjoy life comfortably, and never work again, well actually I haven't really worked yet, but you get the idea...
  7. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Give $1Billion to Riders for Health.

Then have fun...
  8. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

May 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Buy 2.5 B of Apple shares and live comfortably the rest of my life...

Maybe I could get a job at Apple ;) :rolleyes: :D
  9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    two chicks at the same time .... office space joke!

I have a feeling steve will probably invest in one of his secret new ideas ... and within 10 years it will be a household name sort of like pixar is now. I would do the same
  10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    What couldn't you do with all that dosh?

Hire enough mercs to invade a certain Seattle based software company?

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    buy as much land as possible, mostly rainforests and land that is vital to our existence, and protect it. simple as that really....

i'd take care of myself and family of course, but that'd take nothing in comparison to the 3.5B!

maybe i'd finance someone to run for President (as i myself am illegible), try and protect what little we have left before it's all destroyed. :)
  12. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    All my cousins, Aunts, Uncle each get a Million

GrandMom get 100 Million(who lives with us)
    My GrandParents(still together) Get 100 Million
    My GrandFather(who is seperated from my grandmom) Gets 100Million(but he's rich so he would need it the least)
    All teacher at my school get 1 Million and the ones i really like get like 5M(can't spend more then 300M)

My Brother get 100Million
    Mom+Dad Get 300Million
    Pay Off all my bills(my parents bill becuz i still live at home)
    Put a BathRoom in my basement
    Buy a PM Quad and a 30'' Screen and maybe a 12'' MacBook Pro When it come out
    New Mac for my Bro
    Get rid of my grandmom's PC(for a MacBook Pro) that works with her Plasma

Donate like 500Million
    Take 1000 BreifCase full of 100,000 each and find somehomeless people to give it to,and some of the "working Poor"

Put 1Billion Away for a raining day.

And Buy an Apple Store(so if i spent all my cash i would still have some)

And buy MacRumors for a few Million(leave same people in charge, Arn would still have most of the control and run thing)
  13. Lau Guest

Hmm. Off the bat:

1) Selfish stuff. Buy a flat in Glasgow. Buy a flat in Berlin. Buy a flat in New York. Buy a flat in London. Buy an iMac. Buy a nice pair of shoes. Buy a shedload of books. A yearly train ticket for the whole of the UK (if it exists). That sounds really sad, but I love the idea of being able to jump on any train any time I like to go anywhere.

2) Slightly less selfish stuff. Buy my parents a nice house and a nice wedge to retire on. Make sure people I love are sorted.

3) Set up a design studio that does work for a nominal fee or free for people that deserve it (I/we decide who this is!). Charities, environmental causes, new businesses, small companies, books that need to be published but aren't, etc. It wouldn't be saving the world in the conventional way, but good design goes a long way to making things that aren't otherwise seen as worthy/trendy successful. And something not being financially viable wouldn't be a problem, whereas for a profit making company it would.

Unless you meant what would I do if I had joined Disney? In which case I'd have told Disney where they could get off, hefty shares or not. Even as a kid I thought they were tacky as hell. The Flumps were where it was at. :D
  14. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    A few of these, obviously, one of these, a nice casa, say a couple $$,$$$/month pocket money for life, and quite frankly, I have no idea why I would need the rest... maybe I'd start my own NGO?

[Edit:] Screw the RR, one of these, and maybe one of these instead. All hand made in the UK :)

Of course, the main idea would be to retire ;)
  15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002

AH HAHAHA, oh sh*t i remember the flumps....used to love them! now of course i'll be trying to remember the theme song all night, thanks.
  16. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    If I had that money, I would do 2 chicks at the same time man:D

I would probably buy a nice 1956 jag roadster, 1 of every mac to date, a nice house in greece, open up a record company for hip-hop music and give 500,000,000 to charity and the rest just to live decently on
  17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I would buy homes for my family and open up some shops and i just have to have my very own film studio....give some to my church

18. Lau Guest

I believe it was "The Flumps, The Flumps, bu dah dah daah, The Flumps, The Flumps, bu dah dah daah...", but bear in mind that's my age 5 memory talking. :D
  19. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002

do d'do d'do do doo

got it, and it ain't nothing like you wrote......

oh, wait, i can see how it fits now..... haha
  20. Lau Guest

Give my 5 year old self a break, dude. ;) :D
  21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
  22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The Ultimate Mac setup :p

I'd also bribe Satoru Iwata to get my hands on the Revolution early.

Then buy a small game developer and make them produce my own games. :)

Buy houses and cars for all the people I know who are poor, and get my parents their own personal airport (my mother's from italy and would love to be able to visit whenever she wanted).

Buy a very nice house, 1,000 quad G5's and make a cluster, a very, very big screen, the largest WiFi network of all time, and iMacs in every room.

Put the rest in a bank account.
  23. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002

dude, you rock! (in my best american accent)

i'm gonna put that on my phone as a ringtone, yes i'm that sad (and nostalgic)

back on topic then...

wow, i'm amazed at how selfish people are, is everyone really so happy with what's going on outside their sheltered little lives?
  24. Lau Guest

Fantastic! It honestly has been about 20 years since I heard that. <Nostalgia....> :eek: Dammit. It was the best programme ever.

4) Get The Flumps back on TV. Would do the country a world of good. Ain't no ASBOs in The Flumps. ;)

(in a vain attempt to get back on topic). :D
  25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I'd go skinny-dipping in it, just like Scrooge McDuck! :D