What would you do with an iMac G3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pianodude123, Nov 12, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I have two iMac G3s, which I am need to get rid of. They both have airport cards in them and both have screen tint issues. I figure that if I sold them on ebay, I would not get much for them, however if I disassembled them, I could get more for the parts?

What would you do?

And...if you were going to sell the parts, which would you sell and which are not worth anything (toss)?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I got an G3 iMac thats connected via ethernet to wifi network thru my G4 .. what i'm trying to do with the G3 is protein Folding machine :eek: :eek:

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hard drives, RAM, Optical Drives. Anything like that really, plus keep all the cables etc. I'm always looking for things like that hence the fact I have about 4 or 5 computers all half taken apart to get cheap upgrades for my newer ones.

I'm not sure how much you would get though for selling them separately.

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

The Airport cards should definitely be worth something at least.

I got a Bondi G3 iMac a couple of months ago and I want to upgrade the RAM and potentially a Hard Drive.

What are your specs? If they're compatible with mine then I might be interested in taking some of these things off your hands for a reasonable price.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, I wouldn't bother selling them on ebay as single units. You'd probably have more luck parting them out.

6. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

ya...thats pretty much what i just did.

I kept the ram, HD, airport, motherboard...with processor... 400MHz BondiBlue Firewire, optical drive, speakers and mics.

Now...what should I do to dispose of the CRT part?

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

look around your local area, there should be a eletronics disposal [or recycling center] that should do this for free.

On a side note, i have thought of turning my sisters old G3 into a itunes server, for streaaming my music through the house to my other Macs.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Airport (not Extreme) cards can go for more than $80 each, definitely sell those!

10. iPods rule! macrumors newbie

If you mean the screen, dispose of it. If you mean the casing, look around for some ideas on the net. I saw where someone took a CRT casing and made it a trash can. What a hateful thing to do to a CRT Mac, but to an old PC they deserve it!