What would you do with an unwanted pet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

A friend of mine adopted this stray cat when he was a kitten. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. The cat is very affectionate and likes to be around people and likes to be petted and etc. But he pukes. A lot. And a little annoying sometimes with his affections. So he basically became an unwanted cat in his household - he's either outside or shut in a room in the basement.

The friend is moving soon, but doesn't have the heart to put it down or abandon it. So he's unsure of what to do about it, if anything.

This is kind of sad, and I'm wondering what you guys think.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Do you have any friends that want a cat?

maybe the excessive puking is from the cat eating a plant or having a worm? Kitty should see a vet.

Give him to the shelter, if worst comes to worst.

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Does your area have a humane society, especially one that doesn't euthanize animals? My neighbor took two rabbits and a dog there (no she's not an evil person).

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Ditto.
    Cats don't puke excessively for no reason.
    Is it puke, or hairballs?

5. alex131992 macrumors newbie

I would keep it, oh yeah, and btw, my dad is taking care of my cats and hes allergic to them, and today or yesterday my uncle put his dog to sleep.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I hear that cat tastes like chicken...

Seriously now, seek out your local SPCA they will take the cat puking or not with no questions asked and you can rest assured that they will not euthanize or eat it.

Ed

7. alex131992 macrumors newbie

Mabye u can take care of the cat

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

What's more humane though? Letting the animals wallow in what is essentially a jail cell or putting them down with some dignity? I'd rather see an animal euthanized than see it suffer... :(

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But some people still draw the line at turning loose cats in the neighborhood into stir fry.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Euthanising an unwanted animal is hardly dignified. Besides, the cat will likely get more attention from an organisation such as the SPCA than the OP's friend that banishes the cat to the basement because it "pukes a lot". The cat needs medical attention, not euthanasia.

11. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I wish I have the option, but I am a college student, and will be for a while yet. I can't afford, nor do I have the resources, to take care of a pet.

12. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, I say check with the neighbors. Might be able to find a compassionate friend for kitty.

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've seen a lot of free cat listings on Craigslist. Don't know if they work, but it's worth a shot.