What would you do with spare hard drives???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ftaok, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I have a couple of hard drives that I pulled from crappy PCs that they were giving away at work. All are 3.5" drives that have very low capacities. We're talking 4.3, 3, and 2 GBs.

I don't have any desktop Macs, and external enclosures all cost about $30.

What should I do with them?

ft

2. davisjw macrumors regular

davisjw

I'd say if they are of no use to you either offer them for free or use them to backup small files such as word documents..

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Drives that small (and by definition, slow) border on useless for almost anything. If you have one of those $15 "bare" ATA-USB2 adapters, you could use them like fat, ugly removeable storage, but they're so small it's barely worth the hassle.

Personally, I'd probably keep them in a drawer in case somebody trying to keep a crusty old PC alive needed a drive like that, or just recycle them.

4. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't know about drives that small but I just used a spare 80G that I didn't need for anything to upgrade the HD in my ReplayTV(DVR).. WooHooo 80Hrs of record time :)

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

They are far from useless. I have many old Macs lying aroung that can use older, smaller drives. Hold on to them. You never know when you may need one.

7. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll just throw them into a drawer for future use.

I was hoping someone knew of a way to connect them up to form a mini RAID (or something) with just a paper clip, 2 rubber bands, and some duct tape.

I would switch out the 100+MB drive out of my LC 575 sitting in the basement, but these are IDE drives and the LC 575 takes SCSI drives. Oh well.

Maybe I'll pick up a couple of old PowerMacs one day.

ft

8. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers