What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

    sikkinixx

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Location:
    Rocketing through the sky!
    #1
    Basically here is my situation. I have a 1.83ghz Core Duo Macbook, stock everything, I got it the week Apple released them last year. I also have an old Windows PC (AMD 2500+, 1GB Ram, ATI 9800Pro).

    My PC needs clean up, which I am going to do. And I am probably going to give it to my gf. Or use it as a media centre PC in my room hooked up to my 360 :D

    My macbook however, is another issue. It is almost time for me to buy the extended Applecare on it, costing $300cdn and I should also up the Ram (another $100 for a GB) so total this laptop is gonna cost me about $400 in a next few months.

    I am wondering if it would be better to sell the Macbook (my uncle or my parents want it) and I would get about $600-700cdn for it. Then buy a newer Macbook, the middle white one. It would only be a few hundred dollars difference (since I wouldn't buy the Apple Care+Ram for my current macbook)and I would get a brand new laptop. Maybe a MBP (even though the size might be a little much for university desks :( )

    Or, should I keep the laptop and spend some cash on it to Ram it up etc, and maybe get a Mac Mini or a used iMac to use at home? I am normally using my macbook as my desktop now but it is a little bit of a pain in the butt (a lot of cords) and keep having a horrible vision of the thing overheating with the lid closed.

    I have a nice 19" Viewsonic LCD so getting a Mac Mini makes more sense, but they are so damn expensive compared to an iMac (for like $100 more you can get the base model iMac)......


    I just DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! AHHHH!!! :eek: :confused: :eek: :( :apple:
     
  2. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #2
    I would probably stick with what you have now, but if you want to sell it and replace it with a new one i would suggest that you wait until Santa Rosa is out, so you will get more improvement over your current macbook
     
  3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #3
    It all really boils down to personal preferences.

    Do you think that a new MacBook would benefit you more then your current one if you upped the RAM and got Apple Care? If you did sell it to family, you would want them to get Apple Care on it. That would be something that they would have to or you would have to pay for.

    I could see it as a easier decision if you had an iBook and was looking upgrade. The CD MacBook has a good amount of life left a C2D would give you a little more performance, But eventually you would want Apple Care on that one as well (Always good to get Apple Care with portables).

    The mini versus the iMac is a harder one. The iMac does have more performance. but the ability to use a disply of your choosing is very appealing.

    I don't know what I would do with out a desktop AND a portable. I would say upgrade the Macbook and get a refurb 24" iMac :D
     
  4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

    sikkinixx

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Location:
    Rocketing through the sky!
    #4
    Well the only thing is if I do sell it, I wanan do it before I need to extend the warranty (I think it's the middle of May, I need to check) so I guess I could sell it and wait a while but iono... then I would have no computer :eek: I could probably slum it on a PC for a while I guess.
     
  5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

    sikkinixx

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Location:
    Rocketing through the sky!
    #5
    Well I had a 12" PB and then sold it just as the warranty was set to expire for $1150 and then got the macbook for $1250 :D So maybe every year I just buy a new laptop :D

    I would love to get a 24" iMac but yeah....a little too much cash-ola. I would prefer to have a desktop and a portable and then maybe get .mac or something so I can make sure my homework is always sync'd between the two. I have often left word docs on my PC and then been at school and been SOL (part of the reason I am only using my Laptop now)
     
  6. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #6
    If you do not travel with your computer, I would hesitate on getting a laptop. If you do not go with a laptop, then I would wait for the next Mini upgrade. I really like the Mini's. I would consider buying one right now, if I had an immediate need. However, if I was not forced into a buying decision, I believe the next generation Mini will be worth waiting for.
     
  7. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

    sikkinixx

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Location:
    Rocketing through the sky!
    #7
    I need a laptop because I take all my notes with it at school and such.

    I am tempted to get a new macbook and then to hold out and buy a the current gen mini when the new ones come out and use it as a home one.

    Or maybe I will sell the Macbook and buy a MBP to be both my home and mobile computer (any excuse to get that 15.4" piece of beauty *sigh*)
     
  8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #8
    what i would do

    if you're thinking of putting that much money into the macbook anyway, i would sell it. a new macbook will give you that 1 gb of ram, a super drive, slightly faster 64-bit core 2 duo processing, a bigger hard drive (?) and another year of apple care. i wouldn't hesitate. i'd sell.
     

Share This Page