What would you expect from the next iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by generik, Sep 6, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

I noticed that I can get a new refurbished 5G iPod for almost what I sold my 1 year old 4G iPod for, which in a sense is quite an amazing deal!

Of course we all know there will be this event next Tuesday, so most likely a new iPod will be released then. Apart from video what killer features would you expect to see for that model? Quite frankly I don't see myself using iPods for video so I might just give that a pass and jump on this good 5G deal instead, but would like to hear some from the community first :)

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

The next update (any day now) I think will only be hard drive upgrades. A full-screen 'video' iPod would need some serious battery technology to facilitate playing full movies on such a big screen. Consider that the current iPod plays video for only about 2 hours before the battery dies... not very feasible for watching movies.

3. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

One that doesn't scratch when I put it in my pocket.... (video and nano)

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I expect a browsing system that does't suck (ie is more customizable) and the addition of an advanced type of playlist that allows you to browse by artist/album/song rather than by song alone (or customized folders). Gapless playback, and being able to jump to artist or album of the song currently playing would be nice added features.

5. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I expect bigger capacities and support for more video formats. If they've really achieved some breakthroughs recently, I would expect the "contact less" or "touch screen" interface to appear with the iPod screen being as big as the 5G one (the click wheel's space would be used by the bigger screen). Oh, and the bluetooth/wireless interface as well (and airport express would be able to beam movies now). :D

BTW, does "expect" also mean "hope"? :p

6. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

although there has been much speculation that the new ipod will have a touch screen including a virtual click wheel, i hope this is nothing more than a rumor. i don't think a virtual click wheel will look, function or feel as good as a real one. plus, can you imagine the fingerprints problem getting much worse?

not that it affects me since i have a 5g 30gb ipod which i love...but an improved battery life would be most welcome.

7. The Grood macrumors regular

A 5MP digital camera built into the back + mini iPhoto software would mean one less piece of kit to lug around.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'm hoping for a full-screen iPod with better battery life and larger hard drive capacity. i wouldn't use it for watching videos, but the full-screen/touch interface iPod would be neat. i also like the idea of having buttons on the top or side for the full-screen iPod.

what i'm expecting: upgraded battery life and larger hard drive capacity in the current 5G line. colored nanos with upgraded battery life and larger hard drive capacity. an updated shuffle.

9. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Battery problem could be solved by using an OLED screen. Its draws less power (no backlight) and leaves more room inside the iPod for a larger battery (no backlight or clickwheel in the way)

Full screen would be great. Make it anti scratch the same way they do on BluRay discs and helicopter blades.

Some kind if wireless communication. Safari would be great (so I can spend even MORE time on MacRumors :p )

iSight.
    Why not? Everything else they make has one.

iChat

Basic PDA functions would be totally great for taking notes and jotting down phone numbers.

caio

10. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

11. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Wireless, hopefully WiFi for internet, but may just be bluetooth.

If WiFi, a nice browser and the ability to sync your favorite dashboard Widgets.

12. rcpmac macrumors newbie

PDA and wifi internet capabilities.
    Regarding the virtual scroll wheel, you can't have both a larger screen AND have separate controls in a compact package.

13. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I want to be able to load up the next few songs before the current one has finished playing.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Gapless playback for sure.

15. bondscript macrumors newbie

16. cube macrumors G4

- FireWire
    - A2DP
    - Worldwide AM/FM/weather band radio
    - Easily replaceable battery

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Gapless playback would be great. As would crossfade playback. Built-in microphone would be very handy.

18. f41dh1 macrumors newbie

I can't wait to see the next generation ipod. My expectations on the new ipod are:

-longer battery life, at least 30 hours.
    -radio fm/am
    -another colours of ipod. eg. BLUE is my favourite!

i don't care about the design. they can use the current design and upgrade into what i just wrote. it's because i think their close competitor is Zen Creative. If I had a choice, I'd buy Creative product because they offer everything but because it can't be use on Mac so I can't buy it.

19. NicP macrumors 6502

Gapless playback would be great :D

bluetooth and a2dp/avrcp would be great too!

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

30 hours? Not likely.

Radio? No point, it's an mp3 player, it's designed to play the music you want. If you need radio, get the remote.

I doubt they'll ever bring colours into the iPod range. The white is just so iconic, I'm still up in the air over the black. Colours would just cheapen it I think, for the mini they were perfect, the nano might suit them but it would just look too gimmicky for the full-size version.

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Hear, hear!

22. f41dh1 macrumors newbie

I quite agree with you. It's just my expectations really although I knew it won't happen. But I think Apple should consider making an ipod that won't scratch like an ipod that made from aluminium. It's the biggest problem with ipod. I had to buy a case for it to make sure it in a good condition. It's just made the ipod thicker and ugly.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I want something "cool". After 2 generations of the same style (which I didn't even like!) it's about time for them to update somehow. What about a full screen iPod with buttons on the bottom in a row (like the 3rd gen had). I mean, you don't NEED the clickwheel for it to be an iPod.

Ok, so I want...

*Radio
    *New Design
    *Inductive charging
    *Wireless updating
    *Better included case
    *Firewire 400
    *Gapless playback

24. Coolerking macrumors member

Coolerking

It flies. Anything short of that I will be disappointed.
    :rolleyes:

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Radio - No.
    New Design - Yes.
    Inductive Charging - Oh man that would be sweet but I think it's a way off yet.
    Wireless Updating - No but again, super-cool, especially if it's wireless USB.
    Better Included case - that'd be really nice
    Firewire 400 - sorry mate, she's gone
    Gapless Playback - oh please, after 5 years Apple must've got the message.