Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Size isn't a factor for me. I'm not on the run much so portability isn't on the top of my list although I'd still like to take my comp out. Anyway here's my question.

Just how bad is the 14 incher compared to the 12? Maybe it's reading the boards, but I get the feeling that the 14" is some oversized behemoth with a poor screen. Is this the case?

iBook owners your advice is greatly appreciated :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There is nothing wrong with the 14 inch screen. People's qualms mainly stem from the fact it only has the same resolution as the 12 inch screens. People will try to tell you everything looks stretched or blurry but that's purely a figment of their imagination. Most people cannot really tell the difference other than the everything being slightly scaled up on the bigger screen.

Having said that, the 12 inch iBook is generally considered a better buy since it's cheaper, it's more portable and it's less bulky (but not by much).

The "dodgy 14 inch screen" issue is a MacRumors myth, in the same vein as the "repair permissions" solution thrown at almost every Mac problem and the fact that edesignuk is Keira Knightley. These things are not to be taken as fact. :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Ok, I have a 14" right in front of me and i ABSOLUTLEY love it! :D

It helps when it's 12:15 in the morning and your left eye is already closed :p

Think about this: 15" CRTs/LCDs most [if not all] have a native resolution of 1024x768 and that's stretched more than the iBook.

It's not like Apple would make a bad looking product, right?

PLUS you get a SuperDrive 8x and a 1.42GHz proccesor down from a 1.33GHz...
Oh and just don't take a fist to it 5 times, like my step mom did :( ... for more information look in my signature for the link.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
My main concern is the size and screen. Some ppl on here make it seem as though the size of the 14 is significantly bulkier than the 12 and I was wondering how true this was. It's only 1 lb difference so it shouldn't be all that bad right? Or am I missing something......

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't find there's a huge difference in bulk between the two, only a marginal one. It's the sort of thing you'd only really notice if you upgraded from having a 12 inch iBook to a 14 inch iBook. It might be something you miss.

This question may be better answered in an Apple Store where you can pick the two up and "weigh up the differences" side by side. Oh, and sorry 'bout the pun. It won't happen again. :eek:

For a while...

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Report after about four hours of use (14-inch version)

Totally amazing. Everything works perfectly. I can't believe it.

This is my first portable Mac; I didn't know what to expect.

In a word: Buy it. You'll be satisfied.

Scroll pad: an amazing device, it works well, just as advertised.
Power and Speed: After using Dual Processors for years (G4 1.25x2 as well as a G5 2.0x2), I thought that this was going to be a problem. Running 6 apps and surfing the web have not slowed it down one bit. I attribute this partly to Core Graphics.
Airport range: Awesome. Even through the furnace, up two levels, and at the opposite end of the house, I get nearly full power indications and great reception.
512M of memory: almost enough; once I begin doing more intensive apps, my extra 1G of memory should take care of things nicely.
Quality and fit and finish: Very acceptable, especially considering its price.

I'll report more later on other aspects such as BlueTooth, Firewire, and USB functions if you'd like.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I should also add that I will buy an external monitor for the lappy whether I get 12 or 14.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Unless you need an internal superdrive, I'd recommend a 12 inch iBook.

Oh, and you realise that an external screen will only be mirrored by default and that if you want to span your desktop to the screen, you'll need a hack, right?

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I don't think I'll need a Superdrive but it would be nice to know that it'll be there should I ever need it. I do know that the iBook will require a hack but thats something I'm willing to risk so I don't have to pay even more Apple premium for a Powerbook.

Money isn't really a concern for this purchase since I want to get something which will last me for quite some time. I'd like to have the 14 inch screen, I just don't want it to be blurry which is why I'ev come to you guys :D

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
lilstewart92 said:
PLUS you get a SuperDrive 8x and a 1.42GHz proccesor down from a 1.33GHz...

SuperDrive yes, but 0.09 GHz increase? HAHAHA :D funny!!!

14inchers are sooo much bigger compared to 12! At least they could have a 1152x864 resolution!

MacVM

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
It really does help to see for yourself. I was also worried about the "blurry" resolution of the 14'', and was planning to get a 12''...until I got to the Apple store. Maybe my vision wasn't especially keen that day, but the 12'' didn't really agree with my eyes. I liked the "stretched" fonts of the 14''. I decided then that the 14'' was better for me. Hopefully, I won't regret that decision later. Seriously, though, hit up your nearest Apple store, if possible!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Both models of the iBook line are great. If you want to have a larger screen then by all means go for a 14" powerbook. They may not have a better resolution than the 12" but you can see it better. I would personally go with the 12" becuase I don't need a big screen but the 14" is nice too. If somebody wanted to give me one I would take either haha :p

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
HEY PETER! Dude go with the 12'' ibook. i have a 12"" and i just bought my girlfriend a 14" power book, and i wouldnt go back. i had prevously owned a 15" hp (yuck! :mad: )...and thought bigger was better, but it was just too bulky. i love the fact my ibook is so small, yet so powerful. if u have doubts jus go to an apple store and see it yourself.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I just got my 14" in my sig and it is great. Basically it is always on the internet connecting by WiFi and I don't have to mess with anything. It surprised the first time I turned on my computer and It already had my Home Wifi listed. Just amazing. All I had to do was put in my WPA or WEP password and it was all set. Never had to reenter any information. Plus I like the size of the 14".

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I bought the 12" because i think the 14" looks a tad bit ugly compared to it. The keyboard looks a bit weird sitting with the two white bars on either side.

However whichever you want is personal preference. The 14" is more expensive and faster but heavier and less portable. The 12" is cheaper and more portable. I came from a 15" Dell laptop and wanted something small and that's why i went for the 12". The minute i saw one i had to have one. Although the first one i saw was a G3-500MHz so i bought a G4 1.2GHz one instead :)

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
well i'm planning to go for the 14" myself. at first i'd been having fantasies about throwing my 12" 'book into any big bag, purse, or backpack and it would fit and be oh so portable, but then i remembered that my head has enough strain with the astigmatism in both eyes and i don't want them to fall out of my head while i'm trying to work on my dissertation. i've been to compusa to play with them both and while the 12" powerbook would be my favorite for working (because of the keyboard), i can actually see best on the 14".

i kept going back and forth, driving my husband crazy until he just couldn't take it anymore. to save all of our sanity, i'll be going with the 14". one of the main critiques about the 14" is that is "not as portable." yes it's larger and weighs one whole excruciating pound more than the 12". no it's not as portable as the 12". but it's still portable. very much so.

i may be skewed, but i managed to lug around heavy 15" monster of an A20 Thinkpad for nearly 3 years-- i know i can manage a lighter, slimmer 14" ibook. though i think i might pass on the superdrive and pick up an external dvd burner down the road. if i'm gon have one i'd like it to be faster.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Go for the 14". You'll be happy! I've had one for a year now and I LOVE it. I would say you do want a superdrive as file sizes keep getting larger. It's a good thing to have for the future.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I think I'll go for the 14. For those of you who own Superdrives...how effective are they at backing up data? I'm not planning to upgrade my HD from apple since its a rip off.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Peter Griffin said:
I think I'll go for the 14. For those of you who own Superdrives...how effective are they at backing up data? I'm not planning to upgrade my HD from apple since its a rip off.

If you want a bigger hard drive then go for it through Apple. The prices aren't that high considering this: first you have to buy a new hard drive and then have a Apple Certified Technicians install the hard drive, and then secondly you have to get rid of the old 60 gig. If you want the bigger hard drive get it. You will just get screwed by the Apple Certificed Technician instead of Apple.

You probably don't want to do it yourself, as there are tons of screws, and most people I've heard of, always have a few extras. ;)

MacTurtle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
Arlington, TX
Peter Griffin said:
Size isn't a factor for me. I'm not on the run much so portability isn't on the top of my list although I'd still like to take my comp out. Anyway here's my question.

Just how bad is the 14 incher compared to the 12? Maybe it's reading the boards, but I get the feeling that the 14" is some oversized behemoth with a poor screen. Is this the case?

iBook owners your advice is greatly appreciated :)

I'm not an iBook owner yet, but it's not far off for me.

I have been concerend with the differences between the 12 and 14 inch screens. They both look good. The 14 doesn't look grainer to me. I've spent a lot of time in apple stores and comp usa's goofing on the various units, as well as playing with my friends 12" iBook. I will likely get a 12 inch because of the portability factor. I had been concerned at first due to the small screen size and my ageing eyes, but the display is sharp. No complaints on readability on the 12's or the 14's.

There isn't a poor screen on either of the iBooks. If you think you need/want the larger text size, then go for the 14. You won't go wrong unless you buy an xp box. ;)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Peter Griffin said:
As I had to do it when my first iBook G4 1.42GHz came broke, i was suprised of how fast it went, no problems here :)

Hope that helped :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.