What would you like to see from Apple?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nighttraitor, May 14, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I just wanted to know, outside of the 970 , what kind of hardware/devices would you like to see from Apple?

2. macrumors 65816

yzedf

Better iBook with AE, FW800, and BT built-in.

New PowerMac case design (B&W G3 was a long time ago...).

Better BT hardware support.

Dump the 1 button mouse.

Gobi.

3. macrumors 6502a

jethroted

What I am waiting for is a portable media centre. Roughly about the same size as the rumored tablet that is in the works. I want to be able to take all of my movies, music, pictures with me where ever I go. I want it to;

1. rip DVD movies and store them

2. rip music

3. Surf the net

4. have a video out, so I can hook it up to a tv to watch the movies

5. lots of storage space

6. the 8"x5"x1" dimension is good.

7. I would hope it has an imbedded g4, or one of the new mojave g3 chips.

4. macrumors 68000

nospleen

No flaming please, but I really want a pda or a pda/phone hybrid. I know it is not going to happen, but I wish it would. :D

5. Guest

caveman_uk

I'd like iTMS, Sherlock and iPhoto photo album ordering to work in Europe....

6. macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

What would I like to see... hmmm...

a) black, instead of white products (for me, industrial design should be, well, industrial, and black and metallic surfaces do that best for me),

b) newer, more modern case design (enough of these goofy-looking handles and rounded edges already, and something more like a B&O stereo component),

c) much faster hardware (not just the 970, but faster FSB, HT, etc.),

d) open hardware, like the PC world enjoys,

e) OS X for x86 hardware (great potential for market penetration and expansion),

f) OS X apps with Windows and Linux versions, such as FCP, iTunes, etc. (same as above).

7. macrumors 65816

yzedf

JudginG by the size of a DVD drive and the size of most hard drives... you are not getting the form factor you want. Besides, it should be DVD player (component) size. It should stack in nicely with all the other home theater style components.

8. macrumors 65816

maradong

1) itunes for windows / linux
    so that more people can dl the songs.
    2) itunes worldwide aviability.
    not just the us
    3) of couse the ppc 970
    4) lower prices in europe. the euro is about 1.1$ but the prices in europe are about 10- 15 % higher than in the us !
    europe is a big marked to. come on apple.
    5) piles support in 10.3 IMHO an xtremly useful feature.

that s it

9. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

A BTO 2 button mouse for laptops and desktop systems.

Worldwide Apple Stores and more equal oppurtunities for the non US Apple customers (re service/support).

10. macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see some kindo of ultimate next revision iMac consumer pc to die for. Thus it would need to do everything a consumer wants to do now and in the next few years. This would include good hardware for games (important as kids/teens are an important factor in pc purchase choice even if they say its for their homework ;)), dvd/tv, home office, voice/text/video chat, web surfing etc.

So where does that take us? We nned something better than a MX4 graphics card and a lowly G4 for playing games so if it was to come out by years end it would need some form of ATI 9700 or equivilent and a mid to low end 970. Apple would need to either buy the likes of MacSoft or sign deals with game publishers, get some exclusives or lead time games. Wide screen is important but already a givem, and so is a tv/radio tuner so the portable in the bedroom/home office can be replaced. Web cam and mic built in with support to phone people using local calls (killer app feature but probs not likely).

ok features then:

1.4/1.6 Ghz PPC 970
    ATI 9700
    17"/19" widescreen with tv function and stylus touchscreen for drawing and notes on screen.
    512 Mb RAM
    120 Gb HHD
    Bluetooth pro mouse (multi button) and keyboard (using some new form of power so recharge isnt so much a problem)
    Web cam and 2/3 mic's built into screen.
    motor in neck for auto neck position preference and for controlling position of web cam .
    Record TV to HD/DVD software
    iPhone voice chat to telephone and answer phone software

Then of course there are the towers which would just be kinda the same as now but with the latest and greatest 970's, graphics cards, 1 GB ram etc.

The mini tablet would be great...use as a remote log in client in the house, use as a pda/limited computer out the house and much easier to cary then a laptop...great for taking notes, updating diary, writing a letter on the go, ichating via mobile and even programming in the classroom etc...not for grapics profs though.

I can't see the point in the super dock but i can see something else...Either one of two things. HiFi seperates sized multimedia pizza box. Stack it in you hifi (comes in brushed metal or black) and lets you use it as a tivo type device (no subscriptions though please, maybe just .mac at worst), view photos on the tv, backup and play dvds on HD, act as a thin client for a main mac in the house or low powered mac in its own right if you don't own a full mac (like possibly the crt imac power) letting you play very basic games, word process /web surf/email on tv etc. Best for apple is though that it introduces a cheap option for people to buy from the ITMS, put iTunes on it so it can stream songs from the hd and let the itms display on the tv so that you can buy from the store. Maybe it would need a cable modem built in if its the only mac device in the house or just a jack.

Other option is to team up with the likes of philips or sony and offer a joint mini hifi that acts as a regular nice looking small hifi but stores aac on a hard disc and allows you to buy songs via a small built in screen or by attatching to the tv and possibly showing picturtes thaty are uploaded in a slideshow too. Either of these devices would introduce apple and the mac into the home without the complete need for a mac and interface with the iPod so a pc isn't needed. It allows sales of songs but can be bought by people that fear buying macs as a primary comuter (because of cost, incompatibility and speed issues even if some are precevied). I think it would sell anyway.

Well thats what i'd like, even if maybe not likely.

11. macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Several things likely and unlikey:

If the classic iPod can handle it, software 2.0 for classic iPod.

Small speaker in iPod for alarms when iPod is off.

iPod cell phone.

Bluetooth mouse/keybaord

Bluetooth mic/earphone for iMac

Adopt Serial ATA

A slim-line, stereo-component, 802.11g wireless cable-modem gateway/iTunes receiver/MP3-AAC HD Player w/optical output and file-sharing. (HD Recording optional)

19" iMac with GPU equivalent to Mobility 9600 or better.

970 iMac.

Would like to see Apple design the next X-box for Microsoft.

Standardize on 2-button mouse.

All systems use socketed CPU and GPU.

All systems use fastest current I/O standards (i.e. once there is FW800 with backward compatibility stop producing FW400 machines. Same goes for USB1 & 2)

Apple mixer/multitrack HD recording bundle.

Slimline iMac-Powermac w/out monitor ala HushPC.

Lower prices.

Attached Files:

• hush.jpg
      hush.jpg
      File size:
      11.4 KB
      Views:
  12. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Hey buddy, no flamin' from THIS MacRumors member...that's exactly what I'd like to see as well, and I'm also quite aware of it not going to happen.:(

13. macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Re: What would I like to see... hmmm...

Like this?:)

(I'm totally with ya on that...give me a limited edition BEYOND BELIEF stunningly designed Apple computer to celebrate their 25th anniversary...I'd easily go into debt for that!)

Attached Files:

14. macrumors G4

All I want (hardware wise) is a small expandable desktop akin to a Shuttle barebones system.

Those things are what the Cube should have been, small, stylish, expandable and affordable!!

15. macrumors newbie

TABLET TABLET TABLET

TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET TABLET.

I gotz mad loot I'll drop on a tablet. Only if Apple made it though. Apple is the only company in the WORLD that has people screaming for them to make a product (and they don't).

If there were a Mac clone maker (there ain't) and they made a tablet (ditto), I'd buy that. Whoever had the best one. I just can't spend my hard-thieved money on a PC tablet.

-Chilton

16. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

Re: TABLET TABLET TABLET

there IS a mac clone maker...

happyware computing

17. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I dont know about an iPod cell phone but my friend and I were actually just discussing how Apple should make a cellphone. Like iCell or something.

18. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I'd like to see Apple reopen the clone market. I'd also like to see an x86 version of OS X be released.

19. macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

voicegy...

Yeah, that 20th Anniversary Mac was very hot for the time. What I had in mind was something like that. But I guess I'm thinking even more modernized than that now. There are some amazing built-it-yourself cases out there for the PC world (Fry's sells them) and they blow away, in my opinion, what Apple's pushing out now in its desktop line.

Something slim would be nice, too, something with a smaller footprint but still be a workstation-class machine. Brushed champagne-silver would be nice, with a small Apple logo embossed in front, maybe even a thin illuminated green outline around the logo when it's power up. Keyboard should be the same material, only with illuminated, translucent keys. Also, it should provide a similar opening method that exists now in the G3/G4 line, with the side panel easily opening up and revealing the Mac's internal organs.

20. macrumors 65816

melchior

"iCell" *shudder*

in the real world :D we call them Mobile Phones and there are some dinky people calling them Handy Phones :rolleyes:

iMobile? iHandy? cool! it's a handy-man, a phone and an iPod!

21. macrumors 6502

What I'd like to see?

A Rugged Portable Mac:
    Rubberized corners, thicker but still light - and a keyboard you can smash your fist down on without all the keys flying off in a re-enactment of dirt after a meteor strike. This would be something you could toss across the room, have bounce off the wall, and still be downloading a Quicktime movie over WiFi.
    Grrrr, a RUGGED MAC!

-Wyrm

22. macrumors 68040

tazo

23. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here.:confused: All I was saying is that I would buy a cell phone from Apple if they made one with the same innovative style as their computers.

24. macrumors 6502

matthew24

Wish

I want to use my 17Inch Apple LCD display for watching TV. (Digital Hub, remember!) So: Video In.

25. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

They should make a 30th Anniversary Mac in 2007 with the same type of look as the 20th Anniversary Mac.