What would you like to see in iTunes 5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jalexster, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking of things that I would love to see added to iTunes. Here are a few:

Remote Libraries - Kinda like shared libraries, but with the ability to modify songs in the remote library. Basically, the ability to remotely manage and use your library, as if you were at the computer it was on. You would be able to do everything with a remote library, that you can do with a local library. Things like adding and removing songs, changing tags, ratings, etc... Even things like iPod syncing. You would be able to set a different password for this, than for normal Library Sharing.

iTunes Agent - Basically, a service on Windows and Mac, that is launched at all times in the background, even when no one is logged in (like file and printer sharing), and when iTunes isn't open. It would provide Library sharing, Remote Libraries and iPod syncing. It would host these features for all users. Let's say that my brother is using the computer, is logged in with his profile (on windows), and I need to sync my iPod. No problem! I just drop it in, and it syncs with MY library, not his. It would show up in his iTunes, but it wouldn't launch it, and it wouldn't interact with his copy of iTunes, unless he selected it. If no user is logged in, then it would unmount automatically, or you could select to unmount it if someone is logged in via dragging it to the trash in OS X, or by selecting it in Safely remove hardware in Windows.

Unlinked iPod playback - Lets say I go to a friend's house. He has a freaking sweet set of Logitech Z-5500s hooked to his computer. We want to listen to some music from my iPod through them. I could just jack it in to them, and have playback across the analog line. But you know what would be better? If I could jack my iPod into his computer, select it in iTunes, and play music from it, and send it to the speakers via the computer's optical out. Basically, if you hook your iPod up to an unlinked computer, and you can play music off of it. No ability to copy music to or from the iPod. Just the ability to play music from it. Make sense?

Unmount iPod after a certain period of inactivity - If there is no disk access to the iPod for a certain amount of time (user can set this time, or turn this feature off), it will unmount the iPod. This could be done by the iTunes agent that I mentioned above, so it would work even when iTunes is closed.

Unmount iPod from iPod - On Windows, unmounting your iPod can be annoying. Wouldn't it be nice if you could hold down a button on your iPod for a few seconds to do this (menu for example).

So, what do you all think of these ideas, and what ideas do you have?

2. naltst* macrumors member

automatically downloading artwork with the song, album etc when you import a cd...

3. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, like Windows Media Player on Windows. Good idea.

4. timmyb macrumors 6502

I'd like to see Podcasts added to the iTMS (or iTunes) rather than have to use iPodder

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This thread already exists, wherein I answered (#122):

6. NaMo4184 macrumors member

Whats been said so far plus Winodws media plug in. That would be nice for quick time. That way i can have only one player.

7. supergod macrumors 6502

I would like a few features:

The ability to select a track from the library and see which playlists it is in. It can be hard to keep track of all music and sometimes I forget to add a track to a playlist (organized into decades and subgenres) and so this could alert me, the same way that iTunes now can show you which songs are duplicates.

Improved browser. Somehow integrating spotlight into the browser would seem to make sense. You could search for songs by name and artist but beyond that you could search with words like "short" or "long". Similarly, improved smart playlists similar in nature to the virtual folders that are part of spotlight.

Different window views. Having only a full sized and a miniature player is quite poor, especially now that there is an iTunes widget, making the miniature player completely redundant. I am assuming that it will be removed from the next iTunes, but why not replace it with a number of different layouts for browsing?

Visual EQs. The idea is that you can create settings in the track info for the iTunes visualizer. Create parameters to set preferred colours, effects and intensity.

The HUD, (The green oval at the top) seems very sloppy to me, especially compared to the rest of iLife. There is nothing equivalent to this in any other of Apples designs or programs. This area of the GUI takes up far too much room, along with being too heavy on the brushed metal theme. Why not simply move this display into the menu bar or push it into the side of the window where there is plenty of empty space, maybe above the album art.

Finally, more pizzaz, especially in things like opening the browser in slowmo and such.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try right-clicking (ctrl-click) a song and see under Playlists in the context menu...

9. ahamilt2 macrumors member

Improved rendezvous, it's good but still lacking.

10. minimax macrumors 6502

I would like to see the possibility of adding your own radiostations to the radiolist and removing radiostations from the list you don't like. Now radiostations are added to your library, they don't belong there!!

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just one thing

Autofill for all iPods

I want Lossless on the Mac, and AAC on the iPod without having to have two separate libraries. A range of sample rates would be nice...

You can have it on the Shuffle: Automatic downsampling on-the-fly to 128AAC.

Roll it out to all iPods! Only then will I get my 60gb iPod. :)

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am pretty happy with iTunes at present, as long as it plays my tunes that is all that matters to me. :)

I could not hurt if Apple gave iTunes 5 a face lift, something along the lines of DB iTunes controller widget. :)

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Playlist folders, and an easy way to randomize a random smart playlist. Also, undo that actually works. Expanded ID tag support, since I collect a lot of movie soundtracks, its hard to categorize a song as falling under the original album or movie album listings.

14. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Ok i would like a "back-up" option. So that i can easily back-up all my music and it save all my setting..ratings, play count etc. If it is illegal then why dont they add a password or an authourize feature thingy like in iTMS.
    I would also like this for iPhoto..

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

15. FreakoutJackson macrumors newbie

An online Lyric database (like CDDB) that would add lyrics in the tags.
    Would make for über-cool smart playlists. :cool:

16. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot one.

Monitor Folders - First, add folders that you want to a list. iTunes can then scan for new content in those folders every hour or so, and if it finds some, it adds it to the Library. Winamp and Windows Media Player both do this. I never understood why iTunes doesn't have it. My and my brother have our music set to import to M:\Music Library, and if he rips some CDs on (I set it up so he can just drop the disk in, have it copy, and then autoeject it. Very handy), it will then place them in that folder, and when I next use iTunes, it would detect it and add those files to my library.