What would you pay for clearance cMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rmp71701, Apr 1, 2013.

1. macrumors member

What would you consider a good deal for a clearance cMBP (MD322LL/A), the model released in late 2011? (I don't know how old the actual machine is for sale)

Local Best Buy is offering this for $1099, but I don't know yet what they mean by "clearance" - I don't know if it is an old floor model, a return, etc. I'm considering it if its a good enough deal & I can knock a little more off (I got them to take $80 off an open box iPad 4). How much could I reasonably ask them to take off, assuming the computer is in like-new condition?

Specs:
    2.4GHz Intel i7 (I assume Sandy Bridge)
    4 GB Ram
    6 MB Cache
    750GB SATA HD
    Intel HD Graphics 3000, AMD Radeon HD
    OS X Lion installed
    Other standard features

Never had an Apple Macbook. Currently have an iPhone 5 & iPad 4. Needing to retire my old Dell Inspiron, and wanting to go Mac route now. I'm not highly tech savvy, and won't be using it for anything fancy. Not a gamer, not planning on running a ton of stuff simultaneously. I can always upgrade internals later if need be anyway. I'll be using it for Word Processing a lot, plus some spreadsheets, website maintenance, light photo editing, etc. I'm considering an older model because I just don't need latest, greatest, plus budget is tight. I probably won't be replacing it in the next 2-3 years, but more like 4-5.

Any advice is appreciated. Many thanks...

2. macrumors 6502

Best Buy wants to charge you $1099, while Apple is offering a refurbished version of the same computer for $1589. That's almost 50% more.

Short of it being completely busted (open it in the store, turn it on and play with it for a couple minutes), I'd jump on it.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Just called about it. Computer was in the process of being sold right then. BTW, it was new, sealed in box. Heartbreak.

4. macrumors 6502

Damn, that's terrible. :( I'd cry bitter, techie tears for at least a few minutes if it were me.

Though, upon a few more minutes' cynical reflection, I wouldn't put it past Best Buy to post such impossibly good deals to generate site traffic and be "fresh out" when a customer calls about the too-good-to-be-true offer.

5. thread starter macrumors member

LOL - techie tears.

As cynical as I am too about stuff like that, I think this was legit, judging by my conversation with the Geek Squad rep. It was the only model they had, and I think they had just bottomed the price out since it had been in inventory too long. I happened to see it 15 minutes too late (Face in palm).

I can wait til Summer for sure. Hoping with Haskell release, etc., we we will see places really dropping their prices on 2012 MBP inventory by September. I may pay a little more but I still may find a decent deal, on a newer machine.

6. macrumors 68030

joepunk

That is a darn shame. I'm guessing it was glossy screen (I prefer high-rez-matt myself).

Still though I would have to think long and hard (a few minutes) before trying to jump on that deal.

7. thread starter macrumors member

As if it couldn't get any worse, I'll tell the follow up story:

So the next day, I happened to be looking at the online open box inventory for the same store. Saw that they had the same computer (same SKU) that was listed the day before - except now it was open box, and marked down to $950.

I immediately called & talked to same Geek Squad tech that had helped me the day before. Turns out the dude that bought it for 1099 brought it home, opened it, & had buyers remorse. Brought it back later that night right before closing & returned it. Open box now, marked down to $950.

I asked her to hold it for me. After waiting on hold a few minutes, she got back on the phone and said: "you're not going to believe this. Someone else has it on hold and is on their way over to pick it up right now." I protested somewhat, citing the fact that I had expressed interest in it the night before but had no idea it was back in stock. But in the end I just missed another opportunity. Again.

I wondered if there was something fishy going on, like while I was on hold, someone on the Geek Squad overheard this great deal, called up their brother and said "dude, i've got a steal for you. Some other guy is calling about it but I can put this on hold for you right now if you can get over here & pick it up."

I mean, if I worked at Best Buy I'd have bought the thing myself with an added employee discount even if I didn't need it, since you are pretty much guaranteed a profit if you turn around & resell it on craigslist.

Meh, c'est la vie.

8. macrumors regular

That is why you never call and ask for deals like this. You must go in the store and ask yourself.

9. macrumors demi-god

Maybe if you wait till tomorrow you'll get it for 750$!!!

10. thread starter macrumors member

Trust me i would have - except I live 1.5 hours from the store. In the end the deal would have been worth the drive, but before potentially wasting 3 hours of my time & gas $$, I had to call to see if it was still in stock, as well as the reason for return/condition of item.

What is interesting to me is the discrepancies in how BB prices their clearance & open box inventory. The cMBP that I referenced here was clearly a huge bargain. But at the same exact store, they are trying to sell clearance 2012 rMBP for at least $100 more than what you can find online with tax & free shipping (which means you are really paying $200+ more at BB for said "clearance" rMBP when you add in taxes). This does not really seem like much of a clearance, price-wise. I know they are limited somewhat by what Apple will "allow" them to mark down. But when it comes to open box, apparently anything goes - haggling is allowed & price is ultimately the manager's call, depending on how many are in stock, how desperate they are to clean their shelves off, etc.

11. thread starter macrumors member

BTW, how does BB prevent the following scenario:

Let's say I go buy an unopened clearance rMBP for $1900. I immediately go to my car, open the packaging, and then go back in and return it, this time with a friend. After the return, they have to mark it open box, with the 10% discount, right? Can my friend (as a separate customer from me) then not immediately ask to purchase the same exact computer for open box discount? That's almost a $200 instant savings. I personally would not do that as it just seems a little too shady and chinchy, but I was just curious how BB keeps that loophole closed.

12. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

Nothing is to keep someone from doing that except honesty.

What goes around comes around, though...

13. macrumors 6502a

I would say nothing, except best buy tracks returns through a drivers license so you could only do it a limited amount of times before they say no more returns.