WHAT??? www.apple.com said item was shipped, now it isnt!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nspeds, Aug 9, 2002.

1. nspeds macrumors member

An hour ago, order status said that my iPod was shipped and gave me a tracking number. I just went back to the page and it's back to the same status of "Not shipped yet", what does that mean???

2. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

More than likely, it's an error:confused:
    Go back to the page and check it out again.
    If it still states not shipped yet, contact Apple and get some answers;)

3. awrc macrumors regular

On the subject of iPod shipping...I got a message today saying that my 20GB iPod had shipped. It had a tracking number, so I went to the Fedex site and put it in.

There's a couple of things about the information that bemuse me. One is that the delivery destination is given as Indianapolis which, since I live in Milwaukee, isn't too promising.

However, then there's the scan activity. Pickup status is shown as "PAN CHIAO CITY TW", and there's a status exception stating that the package was received after FedEx cutoff time. Service type is listed as "IP Direct Distribution" rather than the 2nd day I paid for.

HUH? THEY'RE SHIPPING MY IPOD FROM TAIWAN?

Someone please tell me this isn't standard practice and that FedEx's system is being strange. It would be nice if I actually received it by Wednesday, which is what I assumed given FedEx doesn't pick up at weekends.

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I suggest you call up Apple and see what they say.... after that...Fedex....

Good luck!

5. nspeds thread starter macrumors member

Called FedEx just now, they told me the expected delivery date and time, i really dnt care about anything else, as long as it comes in one piece, on time, and it works:-D. How long does it take for a custom iBook to start shipping?

6. Bear macrumors G3

"IP Direct Distribution" means that FedEX has picked up a pallet (in this case in Taiwan) that includes your item. The items can be flown either east (thru Alaska) or west (thru Newark, NJ). When it hits the ground in the US, the items get pulled from the pallet and sent on their way to the destination. (After customs clears the shipment of course.)

A unit shipped after Friday (Tawan time) and received by Fedex before the Moday cutoff time will arrive by Wednesday if you specified two day delivery. Also, the delivery destination shown on Fedex's website is usually incorrect with this method of shipping.

I know the above to be fact as I have had a couple of items (including an iPod) shipped that way.

7. awrc macrumors regular

Aha! All is clear now. Looks like I should get it on Wednesday then, since I did pay for 2nd day - good :) This probably also explains why they didn't offer next day as a delivery option. Thanks for clarifying this - I'd expected my iPod to come from Cupertino as usual, and the Taiwan pickup really threw me. I've always found FedEx to be good about on-time delivery, but I've had enough experiences with UPS sending packages from Chicago to Milwaukee (distance 80 miles) via Florida, and fun stuff like that, to be wary about these things.

8. mattpol macrumors regular

With regard to your iPod shipping from Taiwan:

In June i bought a custom, top model (1 GB RAM, 60 GB HD) TiBook. It was assembled and shipped from Taiwan. It took under TWO days to get to me (in New Jersey) via Alaska and then Indianapolis. I was amazed at how quickly it came. You also get priority delivery with IP Direct, so you can expect to receive your iPod by 9 AM the morning it arrives to your local FedEx dist. center.

I also bought an Airport Base Station a week after my TiBook came and the same exact scenario played out.

-matt