What you have to deal with when you open carry...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Aug 15, 2013.

1. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/bellingham-man-wins-15000-settlement-after-city-co/nZPdj/

He was just walking down the street minding his own business.
    Personally I think $15,000 was way to little.

Quote:
    "Laigaie knew that Washington is an "open carry" state where it is allowed. He even offered the officer, Allen Bass, a copy of that law when Bass asked for his identification. When Laigaie refused to hand over his ID, he said the officer pulled out his own weapon and pointed it at him. "A couple of times, he had it right in my chest and that was 6, 7 inches from muzzle to flesh," Laigaie said. Laigaie demanded that the officer put the weapon away. "I wasn't breaking the law, I was well within the law and he had no right to do that. I don't like being bullied," he said."

2. macrumors 68040

This is great news. Now felons, those with out of state ID, and even illegals can walk around with weapons openly and not have to worry about police checking for legitimacy.

Since everyone is toting, who needs police anyways.

3. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

EXACTLY!

We just need more paramedics.

4. Moderator emeritus

Boohoo.

Think if he hadn't been white, he would have experienced far worse that having a gun pointed at him.

Listen, this may come as a surprise to gun nuts, but I can assure you that the vast majority of people don't want anyone walking around them with guns at all. It's just basic courtesy, the basis of which makes a civilised society.

Recently, a bunch of idiots decided to descend on Starbucks in Sandy Hook to celebrate their rights, just miles from where those schoolkids were massacred. The store closed early so the losers and their guns had to stand outside in the rain.

Do what you want within the law — and this also goes for the first amendment — but don't expect people to like you or even respect you for it. Why people expect admiration for acting like inconsiderate arseholes is a constant surprise to me.

5. macrumors G4

skunk

I think there is a clue in the word "inconsiderate".

6. macrumors 6502a

xShane

Exactly. There's those types of people that intentionally push the boundaries of their legal rights. Cops can play ball, too :)

7. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It was all Starbucks. Just not the one in "Sandy Hook". On that Friday I even went to my locale Starbucks with my firearm on my side, I normally carry concealed. I even paid with a few two dollar bills.

If you were to listen to the gun grabber-nuts with all these pro-gun people carrying firearms into all these Starbucks it should have been a blood bath. I didn't hear of a single issue.

----------

I wouldn't call exercising their Constitutional rights as "the boundaries of their legal rights".

8. Moderator emeritus

Feeling some degree of failure. :(

I thought arseholes was the giveaway. Must try harder.

Men (by and large) with guns: nobody wants you in their peaceful business, where they're shopping, playing and chilling. Piss right off and go stroke your barrels somewhere where you can admire each other.

9. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Thankfully I don't have to listen to your kind.

10. macrumors G4

skunk

Thankfully, reading the comments is enough.

11. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The cop should have said he smelled marijuana and then cavity searched him.

12. Moderator emeritus

Huh? You just read, quoted and responded to me.

Outstanding job on not listening to me. Impressive! :D

13. macrumors 68000

VulchR

One of the bullet points from the article the OP quoted stating where guns cannot be carried: '- Public mental health facilities or bars.' Seem to me that bars deserve their own bullet point.

14. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

15. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hah!

The same conservatives who gave a big "meh" to New York's Stop and Frisk have their dander mussed when it comes to this Wash. resident who refused to give the cop an ID.

16. macrumors 68040

bradl

Wait.. the OP is complaining about the hardships he has to go through because he is carrying a gun?!? Talk about a sense of entitlement.

BL.

17. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

"entitlement" as in my Constitutional Right to bear arms?

This guy wasn't breaking the law in any way. Yet the Police found it necessary to point a gun at him for doing nothing other then walk his dog.

18. macrumors G4

skunk

Dog-Walking with Intent.

19. macrumors 68040

But yet unarmed people get the same treatment and sometimes worst for refusing an Officer's request. They surely don't get any $15,000 settlements. The settlement in this case was purely out of fear for the NRA, nothing more or less.

20. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Gun rights supporters want to draw this into a discussion about open carry because it gives them a comfortable ground to fight from. But, this situation was created by law and order conservatives who codified "stop and identify" laws.

Modern conservatives sneer at the ACLU, even though the group fought against the requirement to identify, and cheer for the NRA which pushed hard for anti-crime laws even as they ensured that weaponry would be openly and widely available.

21. macrumors 6502

I do. It would be dumb for me to exude someone at a place of business. After all I am trying to make money, and the more people the better.

22. macrumors 603

No, the cop didn't point a gun at him for "doing nothing other than walking his dog."

He pointed a gun at him for being armed and not complying with a police officer's orders. Big difference.

23. macrumors 68040

bradl

You miss the point. It isn't the carrying your gun that is the problem. It is the complaining about your hardship because you are carrying a gun that is the problem. You are carrying a gun! what possible reason do you need to complain 'oh woe is me!' about?

If you were homeless because the wife took everything including your house, car, kids, and force you to pay child support because you were overseas in the military, and the gun was your only remaining possession, you may have something. But just because you are exercising that right doesn't mean that you need to complain because you are exercising that right. That is your sense of entitlement that needs a straightening out.

BL.

24. macrumors 6502

So its not okay to argue with a LEO when you are stopped without probable cause? Not only is it okay to argue, it is our duty. The Police should never be above the law, and should never be able to take away our rights that are on the books as law. If you don't like guns, then fine, but this person was not breaking any laws and the officer was out of line...hence the $15,000.

25. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Go make that argument in the search thread.