What you keep/delete after full OS X recovery?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJIceT, Oct 10, 2005.

1. DJIceT macrumors newbie

hi everyone,
    What applications do you keep or delete after a full install from the OS X cds/dvds that came with your computer? And you version of restored cds?

iBook G4 10.4.2 2-Dvds
    -Deleted office test drive and replaced with full version
    -Deleted iWork '05 trial
    -Deleted World Book 2005 (seemed very useless)
    -Deleted Nanosaur 2
    -Deleted Marble Blast Gold
    -Installed Xcode Tools

Saved about 3 GB total

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I only delete test drives--and maybe international localization files that I'll never use. Also printer drivers for brands I don't own--saves a surprising amount.

I actually use World Book every couple weeks to look up something quickly while not online. And Marble Blast is a great game :)

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Or maybe just uncheck those stuff in the custom install?

Then you don't have to go hunting about for unwanted files.

4. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If you forgot to selectively install OS X at the time of re-install, does it cause any problem if you go to Library folder to delete some of printer driver folders?

As for languages, I found there were a bunch of .pkg files for languages in "Recepit" folder in Library. Does it cause problems if you delete, say, a Swedis .pkg file (or any other languagues, for that matter).

5. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

This is everything in my Printer folder in the library. I won't need it anytime in the near future and it'll be saving me 1.28Gbs!

Can i just delete it?

Attached Files:

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

A good program to use is delocalizer It removes all unwanted language files. I can't remember exactly how much space it saved for me but it was quite a bit.

7. DJIceT thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah it saved 608 MB for me :)

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

you can just remoeve languages from Receipts folder in Library

I tried deLocalizer. After running the progam, I checked the trash can and found it just removed "Language".pkg which I found in Receipts folder in Library.

I think if you want to get rid of other languages, you can just go to Library--->Receipts and put .pkg files which start with the language names. I don't think you really need to run deLocalizer program to perform this task.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

When I installed Tiger on iBook selectively, I only picked HP drivers. I checked Printer Driver folder in Library and I only found three folders: HP, PPD PlugIns, PPDs.

I deleted everything except for HP, PPD Plugins, and PPDs from Printer Driver folder in Libaray for my Ti PB. Ti is working without any problem. So, I think y ou can just go ahead delete them out of our hard drive. If you are concerned about the possibility you need them later, maybe you can store them in the external HD with the text message (so that you know where to put them back in if needed).

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Deleting OS's localization files

I am curious to know if Mac OS (Panther and Tiger) localization files interact with "input" method. I deleted most of location files (as I don't need to run nor install programs written in Czech, Swedish, and so on). I was a little concerned if deleting those localization files will also delete the input files which allows you to type in various langues (such Russian, Japanese, Chinese, BrazilianPortugese, and etc). So far, those input functions are intact.

Can someone confirm OS's location files and input files are different?