What you think? (My iMovie)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SpaceMagic, Jan 5, 2006.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey all,

Every year after our Xmas ski trip i make a silly video. This year our new digital camera took VGA film, rather than the usual phone quality videos, so it's slightly better quality.

I've made this on iMovie, but it's just a laugh really... watch it and tell me what you think.

It's 30.8mb but my host is pretty fast: Ski Trip Horrors 05 Movie (30.8mb)

I'd appreciate it if you didn't link on other forums.

Cheers,

SpaceMagic

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Cute. Watched it at work so I heard no sound (sorry:eek: )

Try to be less shaky. Nice work on the editing.
    Gotta love Ken Burns.

3. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Shaky = i was skiing at time! LOL ..

and to add: i never go out with intention of filming anything, there's no script.. it's just taking clips/photos i've taken.. and putting them completely out of context..

You HAVE to view it with sound tho.. it's the point :p

4. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

That was really fun to watch. Years from now in some journal we'll be reading "... in addition his earlier works were influenced by Amores Perros and Carl Orf..."

Nice job.

5. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'd really love to buy a proper DV cam... i just don't know which. The thing is, I'm a student and can't really afford to pay much at all. I'm thinking just getting a really cheap one (Canon MV800) for now, just to experiment, then sell on eBay later and upgrade. What do you think?

I'm absolutely rubbish really. iMovie is for dummies, anyone can use it, but it's not that powerful. With academic license, Final Cut Express isn't that expensive. I think i may have the ideas, as in the slightly more artistic side, i just don't know how to do it on a computer. Perhaps a book for beginners on final cut express? What do you all think?

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

dude that is a good cam you got there. the picture quality is nice and u can shoot some good scenes with that. im also a (film) student the camera doesnt really matter(but it adds that extra touch) just focus on your story...good job by the way. ;)

Bless

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

8. Dalriada macrumors 6502

You deserve an Academy Award from being able to film whilst skiing with one hand.... Nice little movie , as you said it's what you can create rather than the actual material which counts. I just got an iSight and am having fun with Boinx iStopMotion

- Dal

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

good work my friend. but an oscar? pah, i skiied down 9 black runs in lake louise and sunshine village, on snowblades, with two cameras, for some university thing i did with a few mates i went out there with, last year. i did try and strap them to the blades at first, that didn't work, and the whole steadicam thing (we had a smallish one from the uni with us) didn't work with (a) 2 cameras, and (b) skiing...

cushioning from your arms moving relatively freeley is the best thing.

10. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yeh... i don't intend to make a video, i just shoot anything. I'm a black skiier, my sister in that film has just mastered all the reds in that resort... she's improving really well. I'd love to take a proper cam skiing!

BTW, which uni? You're in scotland so...

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Congrats. You're using what you have and having fun doing it whilst making some good memories. Learn by doing. It'll only get better. You had some nice transitions mixed in, too. While iMovie will keep your friends sufficiently entertained, you'll eventually want to get in to editing with FCP and have lots of fun with it.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Technically not bad. Syncing the pictures of the dog to cue with the music is tedious. One idea, though. Since it seems like you're mostly aiming this video at your friends from the trip, They'll drool over backwards video. Take some of the video of that girl skiing, copy it and reverse it, so that the footage looks like:
    [skiing downhill]-[skiing uphill]-[skiing downhill]

Use the same clip three times. I did a video for a local school, and you wouldn't believe how much kids loved seeing themselves sled uphill.

And lastly, where in europe were you skiing? (I assume europe since there are no trees)

13. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Sexten/Sesto north Italy on the Austrian boarder in Südtirolan dolomites.