Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Since the iMac G5/Intel's been out for about 2.5 years, it's time to start thinking about the next generation.

What do you want to see in the new iMac? What do you want it to look like?

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
I still really like how it looks atm. I know some people really don't like the chin, but to me, it never looks out of place....usually if a border isn't the same width all round it bugs me, but it doesn't with the iMac. Just my opinion though.

When you have a clean desk with wireless KB/M and the iMac just sitting there, it looks great! I suppose allowing it to be a little thinner would be good though, but it's hardly a fatty to start with.

I think the new generation should have a few more RAM slots so we can use more than 4GB RAM that Leopard will allow us to access. I also don't see why there isn't space for standard DIMM slots...stupid SO-DIMM costs more.

rallycars

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I like that way it looks now. I will be buying an iMac with Leopard soon. I hope it is updated then also. I hope for a SATA connector for extra fast connections to hard drives. Touch screen would be nice but probably won't happen for awhile. Maybe a blu-ray burner upgrade? Perhaps they can have another 24" iMac with many of the upgrade features added at a discount. I'd say a 500gb HDD, 2GB Ram standard, along with the upgraded graphics card. That would be probably $2250 before apple care. Maybe make another version with a quad processor and bluray and just round that up to $3000. Also some video inputs would be nice, but they won't allow that.

damien341

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
lower saxony, germany
yuk, black?! i hate apple's movement towards black products. way too reminiscent of PCs.

firstly i think it's a question of how the black would look like (and in this case my trust is with apple). and secondly... it's a movement back to black products. remember the good old powerbook G3... :apple:

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
I wonder if it's maybe time for Ive to start a new product scheme. First, it was the fruity transluscent plastic and black PowerBook, then we moved to minimalist white plastic and titanium/aluminum. Maybe it's time for the consumer products to use aluminum! The new iMac could look something like the Cinema display....that'd be cool!

I'd like to see a much faster iMac, much bigger hard disk, more USB ports, more FW400 ports, a FW800 port, and quieter! My G5 is definitely louder than my iMac G3! I think my next computer purchase may be a MacBook(Pro...hopefully), but my parents are definitely due for a switch from their 6 year old Gateway to an iMac.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I'd like to see a much faster iMac, much bigger hard disk, more USB ports, more FW400 ports, a FW800 port, and quieter! My G5 is definitely louder than my iMac G3! I think my next computer purchase may be a MacBook(Pro...hopefully), but my parents are definitely due for a switch from their 6 year old Gateway to an iMac.

You can get a iMac with a 750 gig drive, that's not big enough?

Could use more USB, FW 400, the 24 inch has fw 800 but the others don't.

I've heard that the Intels are pretty quiet machines, the G5's were pretty damn loud (at least the Rev A I had).

Hopefully my dad orders the 24 inch iMac, I've been wondering as well if they are going to change the design of the iMac.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
You can get a iMac with a 750 gig drive, that's not big enough?

Could use more USB, FW 400, the 24 inch has fw 800 but the others don't.

I've heard that the Intels are pretty quiet machines, the G5's were pretty damn loud (at least the Rev A I had).

Hopefully my dad orders the 24 inch iMac, I've been wondering as well if they are going to change the design of the iMac.

Uh, actually, I bought an off-the-shelf 17" 512 MB RAM 2.0 GHz thinking that a 160 GB hard disk would fit my needs. Currently, sitting to the left of my iMac are a Firelite 80 GB disk and a recently purchased 100 GB disk, and all three disks are close to full.

The only things I regret about my iMac are the fact that I settled for a 17" screen when 20" would've been so nice for FCE. I also wish I had a bigger hard disk, but at the time, I don't think there was anything bigger than 250 GB for built-to-order machines.

Other than that, I'm VERY happy with my iMac G5. I probably won't replace it for another two years at least. However, I think my parents will need a new computer soon. My dad's Toshiba tablet's gotten its motherboard replaced about four times and he's lost the magnetic pen, and my mom's six year old Gateway has a mind of its own. It'll startup and shutdown or hibernate whenever it feels like it and it'll start flashing randomly colored lines across the screen :rolleyes: . And my mom doesn't want to "throw out a perfectly good computer" and use our perfectly fine iMac G3 currently sitting in the closet.

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
one thing i'd love to see in the next refresh is a video inputs for using it for a display for a laptop and tv.

another thing i'd like to see is the ability to upgrade the graphics card.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I think it is time for that retro look, and time to introduce the beige iMac with a loud old clunky/clicky IBM keyboard ...

And what, no multi-button rodent wishes?

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I still really like how it looks atm. I know some people really don't like the chin, but to me, it never looks out of place....usually if a border isn't the same width all round it bugs me, but it doesn't with the iMac. Just my opinion though.

It's a pretty common design element to have a wider border at the bottom of things. A lot of matted photos have a wider border at the bottom than on the top or the sides. Its very pleasing to the eye, in my opinion.

But then again, I'm a research analyst and don't have any training in design.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
I want it to be able to do my homework and laundry and perform backflips while riding a unicycle. Now I don't think that's asking for too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.