What your boss hates about you

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    OK, now this was a pretty thought-provoking and funny article I read today.

I've been a boss before, boss some people about now, and I have my own boss who also has a boss who has another two layers of management above her... so we can all chuckle at this while secretly fearing the truth.

I apologise for the Brit-centric nature of the article but all of you who are bosses out there; feel free to add your own pet hates to the list.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

Jul 25, 2006
    paradise beach FL
    My boss must love me. I call him early and tell him straight up - there's epic surf and I won't be coming 'round today!:D
  3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

I haven't been 'on time' for nearly two years. But at least I'm reliable.

I do my own thing at work - I figure why should I have him worry about what I'm doing?

"You obviously have me confused for somebody who gives a fu..." (Yes, I have said this in work. Twice!)

See above answer...

I turn up everyday don't I? What more do they want?

(We get on - see my other answers and still he doesn't complain. He has a wise head on his shoulders. ;) )

I'm far too 'busy' for dreaming up excuses to explain my own brilliance!

Who me? :p

Are you mad? Have you met the Directors? There's no risk here.

As you can see I love my job, my boss, and everything about my work. (Roll on October.)
  4. MultiM macrumors 6502

May 9, 2006
    TO. I've moved!
    This was brilliant! Made me think about where I am and where I want to go. Also about my wife's office where she is a manager. I wouldn't like me very much either if I was like that(all the time).;)
  5. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
  6. MultiM macrumors 6502

May 9, 2006
    TO. I've moved!

Do you agree with with what was written? Do you think it is accurate?
  7. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    I don't have a boss, which explains why the items in the list are true of me, especially the one about being late.

I'm always late.

<depressed persian tow-truck man voice>
    </depressed persian tow-truck man voice>
  8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    What about
    1) Catching them in their lies
    2) Only putting in 60 hours a week to their 30
  9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    As a boss, who has a boss, who has a boss, I would say the one area not addressed is wit, and a sense of humour. It is sometimes not appreciated, at all (which should not be the case), and other times, patronizingly tolerated. Shouldn't meetings be fun? You know, synergy, high trust, non-competitive, team building, affirming environment and all that stuff? Sometimes, comic relief is helpful.
  10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    I think she may hate that I have a better idea of what **** goes on at my work then she does.

OK maybe not, but she hates me for some reason that I can not come up with. Luckily her Boss likes me.
  11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hahaha, exactly. The funniest thing is that I am a boss and have one as well so reading this was hilarious. Everything is true, true, true except for 2. Lack of Initiative for me: "They also hate constant updates and being CCd in on everything. They pay you to do a job - get on with it...". My job requires that I update my boss constantly. If I don't he has no idea where my team is and can't direct anything (do part of his job). Of course, this is for a fast paced job.

Sometimes I love being in management because I can delegate the really crappy jobs to the peons ... I mean my team ;) and sometimes I hate it because I have to babysit them ... and all the whining! All we as bosses want is for our employees to do the job and do it well. That's it.

I completely agree. Good thing my boss has a sense of humor, too bad it involves a lot of cursing.
  12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    I'd agree with the last part. No one likes a micro-managing, anal retentive boss who looks over shoulders and squelches creativity and initiative. But I view being cc'd as helpful for the loop and need to know.
  13. Poseidon macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2007
    Coralville, IA

While I'm all in favour of not being a tool of management, how can you get away with saying stuff like "Do I look like I give a f***" and not get canned?

By the way, checking that website at the bottom of your post was a BAD idea - now I want to start traveling again :rolleyes:
  14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

The first time I said 'it' was in fun. The second time was in anger. I was told that I would have to do somebody elses job because they "couldn't be bothered" - I do not suffer fools gladly and I will not allow somebody to 'take the piss'. (They didn't make that same mistake again.)

By the way, the secret to getting away with it is:

1. Most importantly, you must now your own 'hand' before you play it. It would be more hassle for them to replace me and train somebody new plus hire a designer, etc. Plus, since I'm going away at the end of year it's not as if I need 'job security' right now. (It also helps that I have a great working relationship with my boss - see points 2 & 3 below. ;) )

2. Being the only person in the company who knows how to work the computer system properly (this is extremely valuable with all of the bosses mistakes that I can make disappear!)

3. Being the only person here who can deisgn the all the sales literature and catologues (this would be very expensive to hand out to a third party, as I pointed out when succesfully negotiating my last pay rise.)

4. Using my natural charm. Say it with a smile on your face and a twinkle in your eye and you'll put a smile on peoples faces. Either that or really mean it when you say it.
  15. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't hate my boss, and I'm sure he doesn't hate me either :)
  16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I guess I am my own boss at the moment, so that question is far too introspective for me to answer :(