Whatdoes "Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless" mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leonard1818, May 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
    When I look up a person's phone number, I see this:

Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless

Does this mean they're on an independent carrier that uses Verizon's towers? Or perhaps a carrier that Verizon just bought?

Does anyone know what that means in relation to the phone number I typed into google?

2. macrumors 68030

Dec 24, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    I've seen that before. I believe that is what comes up for former Alltel customers before Verizon partially acquired them.
  3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks, so chances are that phone number is on an independent carrier network then...
  4. macrumors member

Jul 6, 2011
  5. macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2010
    For all intents and purposes, you're on Verizon. The airlines do this all the time with regional carriers. ExpressJet operates a lot of things for United as their Express line. So you'll see "ExpressJet dba United Airlines" when you use their flights (basically all the Embraer-model flights)...

If you had a problem you'd call United in the above example.
  6. macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2004
    Ozark, Missouri
    Nope, has nothing to do with it. Cellco Partnership is Verizon Wireless's official, legal business name. It is not an MVNO and it doesn't have anything to do with being on a different network.
  7. macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    Also: Be aware that if the person has ported their number out to a different carrier, telcodata.us and similar databases DO NOT reflect this. They only shows the carrier that was originally assigned that number, and don't track ports. So, all you know for sure is that it originally started out as a Verizon number. It could still be, or it could be ported out to some other carrier.

Example: my cell number, which I've had since 1999, was originally on Sprint. Since then it's been ported to Verizon, then to Cingular (as it was called back then), then T-Mobile, then back to Sprint, and then to AT&T. But if you look it up, it's still listed as a Sprint number.