What's a .flv file and how do I play it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Aniej, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Can someone tell me what's a .flv file and how to either make it into a .mov file and playable in quicktime or simply to make it playable. I got a cool little application called download helper, but everything it saves for me is in .flv and I have no clue what to do?
    thanks

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

thanks, I will check it out. How would I convert it into a different type of media file so that it could be more easily distributed and watched by people like myself who have no idea what a .flv file is, or didn't until now?

4. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Off the top of my head you have
    iSquint - flv to mp4

Mplayer Encoder flv to lots of stuff but it is command line so you need to know what you are doing a bit more
    Example being "mencoder input.flv -ofps 15 -vf scale=300:-2 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64 -o output.avi"

Sorry I'm not more help I haven't had a need to convert them

5. tehybrid macrumors member

i like ffmpegx. It will convert most anything to most anything. Many formats are supported like all the mp4s, including 3GP, XviDivx, and h.26* as well as flash and vcd

6. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I really like iSquint for making conversions to .mp4 from the .flv format. I've been using it to convert files downloaded from TouTube. :D

7. tehybrid macrumors member

If you use safari, you can make the process easier with Podtube or Tubesock, they both download the Youtube file and put it in iPod (mp4) format.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I've had VLC give me some grief in the past when playing back .flv files. The Perian plugin for QuickTime, however, has handled every flash movie I've thrown at it. Perian's also good in that you can use flash video in the iLife apps.

I used to use ffmpegX for converting .flv to mpeg4, but with Perian there's no real need unless you're putting stuff on your iPod or things like that.

9. gelatin macrumors 6502

ive got an flv that doesnt play in vlc,id rather not convert it

nvm i upgraded vlc

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I second that, contrary to what everyone says, I have never been able to get VLC to play a .FLV file. I recently discovered Perian, and it plays they perfectly in Quicktime. It also plays many other formats as well.

11. aj98 macrumors member

VLC is picky about where the .flv file is located.

I believe the player and the .flv file must be in the same folder.
    If I recall correctly, it's not, it won't play.