Whats a good ad-ware program for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arcktik, May 30, 2006.

1. Arcktik macrumors newbie

Whats a good program that simular to Ad-Aware SE Professional for mac. I need something that removes spyware and viruses. Thanks

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

You don't need one. Simply put, there are virtually no viruses or spyware for the Mac.

Steve

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Unless you are concerned about spreading viruse to friends and family not on a Mac.

4. Queso macrumors G4

If you really want an anti-virus program, the best one is ClamXav. It's open-source and therefore free. However, as others have already posted, there are no viruses or adware for the Mac at present, so it's up to you if you feel you really need to install it.

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Just read this page which explains why you don't need Ad-Aware. :)

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How would that happen? If the virus doesn't infect the mac, it won't send itself along.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You can give an infected file to a Windows user, say by forwarding an email with an attachment.

Also, if you receive and infected file, say a Word document. You might be able to use it and not even know it is infected and then give it to a Windows user to look over and suddenly they are infected. Mac anit-virus would catch these files and clean them as they pass through, kind of like a firewall or a spam filter.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

What he said. I have to be really careful with my non-Mac clients. I infected one once and took down their whole network. :eek:

9. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

Your best bet might be something like Little Snitch.

It will not remove any malware but what it will tell you which programmes are trying to phone home or otherwise use your network connection surreptitiously (which is basically what spyware is) and give you the option to block them.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No program like that exists for Mac, because you really do not need one.
    All Mac browsers have pop-up blockers.

11. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Not true, because a virus can contain itself within a file, such as a macro virus would. A virus scanner for Mac would be helpful if you share a lot of Word files, as they can be a source of macro viruses.

12. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Then why does Symantec make Norton Anti-"Virus for Mac when you don't need it? My friend's mom is forcing him to get it, even though the CompUSA people, me, and her son told her it was unnecessary.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Because they want to make money...imagine that.

14. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

That's pretty much what I thought it's for. Maybe they are trying to catch the people that had bad experience with their Windows systems.

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Norton can screw up your system. If you do a search, someone has posted a command line "utility" that acts like its scanning for viruses, and tells you that the scan is complete and no viruses were detected... but its really nothing. It doesn't really scan. Somebody made it cause their IT dept wouldnt' let them on the network unless they had virus software.

16. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

What's up with Allume Systems "Internet Cleanup" software? One of the features is to remove spyware. I had version 2.0 a while back on my iMac but never installed it in my PB. It never found any "spyware". Guess I wasted my money.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OS X is the best anti-virus and anti-spyware software out there. :) ;)