What's a good alternative to Airport Extreme??

Discussion in 'Games' started by applefan, Jul 4, 2003.

1. applefan macrumors regular

I recently received an Airport Extreme as a gift. I was already using a snow airport, and I was satisfied with its performance; however, I was happy to receive the APE because of the usb printing abilities.

I hooked it up, and it worked fine, so I sold the snow AP on ebay. Then, about a week later my signal strength diminished significantly. After about 25 ft., I lose connection. Apple offered no help, but I was still within 30 days of purchase, so I exchanged it for a new one. The new one works better but not as well as the snow AP.

I've tinkered with the settings and channels with no improvements. I'm not aware of any environmental changes in or around my home.

I'm using it with a 12"pb and an ibook. The ibook gets better reception than the pb, but that's always been the case.

Has anyone had good results with a non apple base station?

Thanks,

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

upgrade all your machines to the lastest software updates, then upgrade your firmware on the base station to the latest. this may help alot. also check your admin utility to make sure you ahve signal strength to 100% percent. if those are all done and you still dont like it then consider other options.

iJon

3. SwitchMonkey macrumors newbie

yeah.. like a base station with a tall antennae .... :D

www.sonicwall.com
    www.netgear.com
    www.linksys.com

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i use airport, but i've had good experiences with linksys networks. two of my friends run linksys 802.11b PC networks, and i've played JK2 over LAN on it.

5. applefan thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!!

Thanks everyone for the advise. All my software and firmware is up to date, and signal strength is at 100%.

I've heard Linksys is good, so maybe I'll try to find one on ebay to try.

Thanks again,