Whats a Good Microphone for Voiceovers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michael-appleru, Jul 27, 2006.

1. michael-appleru macrumors regular

Whats a Good Microphone for Voiceovers on Final Cut Express. I would be using a mac mini for it. (I would need a high quality mic that connects via USB, and one Thats cheap)

2. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

3. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

too bad it doesnt come with a nice one like the mbp ;)

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

As far as I know, no really good mics are going to connect directly to USB. The cheapest solution if you're using a mic without Phantom Power is going to be the M-Audio Fast Track USB. This is a USB Preamp. Basically, you plug either an instrument or mic into the Preamp and then the Preamp to your USB port. This particular one does not have Phantom Power. To use a condenser mic, which gives, in my opinion, about 200 times better sound quality, you'll need Phantom Power, in which case you'd want the M-Audio MobilePre USB. If you're looking for sound that will do the job, the Fast Track USB and a Shure SM58 mic (the industry standard, no bells, no whistles, sturdy-as-hell vocal mic) will do the trick. You're going to get terrible sound if you're looking to do this for about $50. Check eBay for the items you're trying to get.

Daniel.

P.S. Just for reference, what exactly is the project you're working on? Knowing might help me direct you to some other routes to completing your project...

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

You can plug your earphones into a mic input, and it'll also act as a microphone, although a really crappy one at that! And you'll have to shout. ;)

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

All I can suggest in that case is looking for the Samson USB mic, used.

7. milo macrumors 604

So you really don't want "high quality". You just want halfway decent, something that sucks the least for that price.

8. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

well i wan to use the mic for voice overs and i dont want ot spend a lot of money

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

10. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

well whats a cheap microphone thats good for voiceover??

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That is the best deal you're going to get. You'll need a preamp of some sort whatever Mic you get because the Macs don't have a built-in preamp. If you buy say an iMic and a crappy mic it's still going to be $30 + $10~$20.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If $50 is too much, just pick up a cheap PA or tape recorder mic and be done with it. If you're careful while speaking you'll get away with it.

If you would rather have something halfway decent and don't want the cash outlay, try scouring the Goodwill, Sally's, pawn shops etc. It's not unusual to find ancient but decent stuff that needs little more than a cable or a dab of solder, and you'll have a nice pretty chunk of vintage metal sitting on your desk.

13. Jopling macrumors 6502

This is going to sound extremely stupid, but I like to plug my Xl2 into my computer via firewire and I can use the mic that it came with or plug a mic in through xlr and do a voice over. I find the built in mic sounds absolutely great.

14. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

Ok All I want now is an all in one solution AND I DONT CARE HOW MUCH IT IS well maybe less than $200

15. bradc macrumors 6502

My god! Are you thick! Look at Sesshi's link;)

16. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

well i think i have my answer im either getting the Blue Snowball or the Samson C01U Condenser Microphone

17. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Any halfway decent condenser and a USB or Firewire in will work. I'd check around ebay and froogle.