Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcbuzzkill

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Just buy an xbox 360. it may be expensive, but its only 50 bucks a year for online, after the first year it is a better deal than WoW etc....plus way better :) and Fable 2 will be out soon and that is going to be the best rpg to date!

Yoric

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
thx for the info, no everquest for me. minions seems smale scale but ill try it. does anyone know if boot camp +windows xp+ guild wars would work?

Yep, I've got Guild Wars. The Plat Edition with Eye of the North included. It's a damn good game! One you can keep returning to as it's free to play. And because there are no monthly fees it always seems to be fairly well populated. It's all instanced however. I'm not sure I would want it as my only MMO all the time because of this. You can't go wrong though, you'll definitely get your money's worth. That is if you're running Windows of course.

aerostatic

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
TwelveSky is an amazing MMORPG with no fees. I have been playing for a long time and have had really good experience. Try it for your self at 12-sky.com.
The people are great and its a great game with the best PvP system.
If u ever play my IGN is Suresh.

PooeySK

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Computer Programmers Avert your Gaze!

Some people who have the game use private (hacked) WoW servers. They are free, and you get what you pay for. Completely buggy and quite often offline. However, they allow me to do something my retail account won't allow me to do (besides start at lvl 60!): I can play with my kids without paying for two or three accounts.

So if you really can't afford $12 a month, you can google and find 'em. But caveat emptor: you will learn quickly WHY you SHOULD happily pay $12 a month.

ProstheticHead

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Seattle, WA
You could always play WoW on a private server. They're a little buggy since they're an emulation of a real WoW server, but they are pretty much entirely the same as playing regular WoW. Some of them even have elevated rates and such so that you can level or gain gold faster. Best part about it, they're free to play on. I played on a fairly decent one a while back called BurningWoW. You could check one of them out if you're into WoW but not into paying.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
You could always play WoW on a private server. They're a little buggy since they're an emulation of a real WoW server, but they are pretty much entirely the same as playing regular WoW. Some of them even have elevated rates and such so that you can level or gain gold faster. Best part about it, they're free to play on. I played on a fairly decent one a while back called BurningWoW. You could check one of them out if you're into WoW but not into paying.

They are illegal and not allowed to be discussed on MR.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
They are illegal and not allowed to be discussed on MR.

Well thank you mr. hall monitor. make sure you take down everyone's names, so you can tell the teacher when she gets back.

sadly, the fake WoW servers are pretty bad... buggy and unstable. duh, i guess.

Diablo 2 is still one of the greatest games ever. And now Diablo 3 is on its way... awesome! the trailers look super sweet.

ingouk

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Birmingham UK
Yep, I've got Guild Wars. The Plat Edition with Eye of the North included. It's a damn good game! One you can keep returning to as it's free to play. And because there are no monthly fees it always seems to be fairly well populated. It's all instanced however. I'm not sure I would want it as my only MMO all the time because of this. You can't go wrong though, you'll definitely get your money's worth. That is if you're running Windows of course.

i have been playing Guild Wars for a while now on osx with cross over games. works fine.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
yay Guild Wars

only MMORPG i play is guild wars, even my wife plays it and she hasn't gotten into a game since tetris, yes it's instanced but that doesn't matter to me so much as me and my wife do missions/quests/farming/lvling either solo or together, but rarely with other people on the game, i just view other people as supporting the in game trading and would prefer not to be bothered by them when not in town (she plays on a 2 year old 17" imac and me on my white macbook both running xp and it runs fine)

In Game Name: Nil Death Scythe (if anyone wants to contact me, let me know you're from macrumors so i won't ignore you like i do all the other people that whisper me lol)

kahine

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Excellent thread guys - some good suggestions overall that I will be checking into

I dont mind paying a monthly fee but dont mind the OP and others not wanting to - personal choice

But I am in the camp of where I finally want to do away completely with my boot camp partition and run Fusion only for business/server apps so these suggestions for Mac games are good to read over

Bigtime mmorpg'r from EQ beta to AoC/WAR beta and thinking of firing up Mac EQ just to enjoy the old game in its more original state along with WoW

I run dual monitors and have found that OS X seems to handle windowed mode games much better for the ones I have tried so can be going back and forth between tasks better under OS X -

Anyway just wanted to thank folks for suggestions

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

You know, if you have a dedicated party, Guild Wars could be outstanding, but I too don't care for all instanced questing space. I really enjoyed meeting people out in the country side, of which there is no chance of that in GW.

im downloading minions of mirth it seems kinda cool

Not to rain on your party but I found Minions of Mirth to be rather primitive. I did not care for animations which show your character sliding across the landscape, legs not moving, when you first start running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.