Whats a good mp3 player besides iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by streetfighter, Dec 10, 2006.

1. streetfighter macrumors newbie

I'm not too fond of iTunes, I'm used to winamp on pc. Is there a good alternative to iTunes for OS X?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there aren't any good mp3 player with playlist on mac os other than iTunes, at least I didn't find it, would be nice if winamp or foorbar got ported to Mac.
    Anyway, iTunes works better under OSX than it does under windows.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Songbird is really buggy now, but try it out and tell us what you think.

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Panic's old discontinued, unsupported app, Audion, is available from their website, for free. Give it a shot. It competed with iTunes back in the old days.

http://www.panic.com/audion/

6. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Audion was gret back then, still, iTunes is still a better choice.

7. Selenolycus macrumors regular

Songbird (a Mozilla Project) is looking promising, but like others said above, it's buggy, but useable. If you're coming from Winamp, you'll dislike it.

Cog is better than VLC for Ogg Vorbis and such, it is the closest you'll get to Winamp 2.x on a Mac, supports various formats, lacks equalizer, but simple.

Man, I miss the days when a new Winamp 2.xy build was released. Nullsoft seemed to add small but useful features like no other.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You really aught to try iTunes out. I can't see how anybody thinks iTunes is somehow not good. Perhaps it is different, and you are not used to it, but that doesn't make it bad. It really is awesome.

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Audion has a built-in Alarm Clock. That is reason enough for me to use it.

10. Neoraven macrumors member

iTunes + Widget = Alarm Clock

I understand the use of the Alarm Clock too, I use it quite often

11. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I agree, maybe you're just not used to it. I hope the next thing you say isn't "I'm not fond of OSX, I used to use windows, are there any os's you'd recommend?":eek:

12. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Cog is a nice little app, I use it for FLAC playlists only though.

13. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Ugh. I hate Dashboard. What widget would you be referring to, in any case? That "remote" with a puke green pill?

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, except for the few years that went by where they didn't have any AAC support. :rolleyes: Buy seriously, I kind of miss those days too, even though I never owned a PC... I guess it was all the times I used friend's PCs. Heck, one of them still uses some really old 2.x version, with the Spyamp skin. :cool: I haven't used Winamp in a long time. For a while people were using Foobar, and now it's iTunes (that's what I use when I have to be in Windows).

To the OP: keep in mind the Mac version of iTunes is really good. For some reason the Windows version is slow and glitchy sometimes.

15. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Probably not what the OP wants to hear but really, give itunes a decent trial. I never used itunes in windows. I tried but alway went right back to winamp. It was what I'd known for so long it was hard to get away. When I came to mac itunes was about the only option. Now that I've used it extensively and exclusively I wonder why I didn't give it more or a chance when I had a pc.