What's a good PDA for student?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mueng, Sep 19, 2002.

1. mueng macrumors member

I'm a junior in college right now and in need of a PDA. I used to be able to remember everything in my head, but this year, I have so many things going on that I forget about things or don't remember until the last minute.

I'm just looking for suggestions for a decent color screen PDA that is able to sync with my G4 with 10.2.1. I also would like something durable and with decent features. I have no idea what PDAs have these days, so any help would be great.

Oh yeah and price is somewhat of a concern, i'd rather not be spending 400 bucks or something like that

Thanks

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The best kind of PDA to use with a mac would be a product from Palm. Palm makes a variety of PDA's with a ton of features. The i705 is the top of the line model, and it will run you around $450. The m515 is the best model foy your needs. Check Palm's websites for details.

Plus, when iSync is released at the end of the month, it will easily be able to sink with the Palm handheld.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

what kind of a studnet are you?

That would matter...

If you just need something to help you remeber stuff.. a Palm is just fine. And it works with OS X

If you were CIS or CS then you should get a Sharp Zaurus... it Runs on Linux, has a Terminal, an tim into other devices so it can be used as a Console, And... Sharp says that they are working on getting it to work with OS X.

oh.. and it has a built in KeyBord... I hate what ever that language that all the PDA's use to recongnise hand writing.

If only Apple would make one like the Zaurus but running a slim OS X BSD... that would be great!

-evildead

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Actually it does matter...because iSync will not work with a Sony Clie.

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

thats good to know... I was considering one of those.. now I dont know. Any chance of suport later on?

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Not sure. Sony hasn't expressed much interest in supporting the Mac platform. I know people who bought Sony still digital cameras, and they won't work with iPhoto, even though apple says they are compatible with it. I think Sony does make some great electronics, but I would be much happier if they would start supporting the Mac.

7. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i had no idea that sony products had compatibility issues...that really sucks. i was going to get the sony mini digi-camcorder, and my step dads giving me his sony digital camera. I will be mad if my free 800$ digital camera doesnt work and im not getting the camcorder till i know for sure. i really like sonys stuff, they need to get their $h!t together...

as for PDAs...i like my handspring, but i really dont get much use of it...id say get an iBook with iCal and just make yourself a portable student, all my law school is protable

8. mueng thread starter macrumors member

Re: what kind of a studnet are you?

I'm just a business student. Basically i just need it to remember stuff and for some "cool" features. Though I have to take CIS next semester as requirement, I'm doing accounting probably.

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Right now, I'm an amateur filmmaker and photographer, studying in film school to hopefully become a big time director. Just because I hope to become one doesn't mean I'll be one, but hope is what keeps me going. I'm going to give you a reccomendation that I have heard from many great filmmakers: Buy Canon Cameras.

Canon has the best line of still and movie cameras and camcorders. They are less expensive than the Sony, and they have much better quality. I thought Sony would have been the best, but then I met Steven Soderbergh and he totally changed me from Sony to Canon. Get Canon! You won't be sorry. They also last a lot longer than the Sony.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I just bought a Sony DSC-P7 and it works perfectly with OS X and iPhoto. And it'sNOT listed on iPhoto's compatibility page. Apple really needs to update that page, it's so outdated.

As for other Sony digicams, I've used some of the older ones and they work just fine with Macs. I don't know which ones you're talking about that don't work with Macs.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I hear you on the Canon, but they aren't any cheaper than Sony's.

Case in point.

DSC-P7 $500 vs. Digital Elph S230 $500. Feature for feature, I would put the Sony ahead slightly. As for picture quality, I can't comment. The only plus that I would give the Canon would be that they use CF vs. Sony's Memory Stick.

BTW, what did Steve Soderbergh say or do that made you switch from Sony to Canon?

BTW2, if you see him again, tell him that I loved "Full Frontal".

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

He made several statments, but one really stood out. People are going to debate this, but it is fact. "I use Canon's for a lot of reasons, but mainly because Final Cut Pro was designed to work hand-in-hand with Canon, and I love editing on an Apple."

13. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Re: what kind of a studnet are you?

They you dont need anything too powerfull. One of the Palms would be plenty for you. Its just a matter of how much extras you want. Do you want to watch movies on it? Do you want a built in keybord? have interent access? email? Wireless LAN? Does your university have a free Wireless LAN set up? many do ... you could sit in the Quad and get your email from your PDA.. if they have it.

I would go and play with some and see what you like. the size makes a diffrence. The some are much bigger but very powerfull.. some are smaller but requrie you get an expation pack to do any thing. There is one ( I dont remeber which) that has a color screen and a built in Wireless Card. Very slick.

-evildead