What's a Good Place for a Weekend Vacation?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Aug 2, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I need some suggestions for the northeast area, I live in Albany NY. Maybe a nice beach? It's for family, my dad told me to get some ideas... Any ideas would be cool, thanks guys.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

From Albany, you're centrally located to go nowhere. How about the Berkshires or the Green Mountains? Somewhere high up, where the humidity is less ... humid. And the people are less ... governmental.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Holy crap! I've graduated from being a newbie!

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Three words for you:

Beautiful Niagra Falls

*Perfect* weekend trip. Good luck

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Been there a couple times... It is cool, but I don't wanna go there again.

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Umm, thanks I guess...

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there are some nice camping spots in the Finger Lakes area around Rochester (and lakes of course too) and there's also Darien Lake in that area if you like the amusement park stuff.....oh yeah!

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Rhode Island!

Newport, Rhode Island is very nice. There's beaches and shopping (both big commercial stores i.e. Helly/Hanson and there are also little shops).

Watch Hill, Rhode Island is very nice too, there you will also find beaches and a little bit of shopping.

For a nice beach quiet beach in Rhode Island go to East Beach in Charlestown. Its a nice beach and not too many people (usually) because they have a small parking lot (you have to get there early on sunny weekend days). There are some inns and motels in the area and very good restuarants. I highly reccomend The Shelter Harbor Inn, The Wilcox Tavern in Charlestown (or westerly) and inside part of The Coast Guard House in Naragansit (Old coast gaurd house litterly right on the water, like in the water almost)

Stay away from those big tourist beaches- theres way too many people there durring the summer.

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Never been camping, but I know I'm not into it, adn we're not a camping family. I'm not a big fan of lakes either. I haven't been to Darien Lake though.

Hmm, My bro suggested RI, seems pretty nice, and we've never been. Maybe. Is Newport like the big spot to go?

11. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Newport is a huge tourist spot. There's beaches, boats, a boat restoration school where you can watch people hand make boats), lots of shopping (there is a cool store where they make dufflebags and such out of sailboat sails which is pretty neat), the newport mansions, good resturants (The Brick Ally Pub is a good resturant with a neat atmosphere, red parrot supposed to be good, and theres another but I forget the name but it's supposed ot be the one of the best seafood resturants in new england), there are a lot antique places, and mega yacht building place (giant yachts, seriously they look like miniature cruise ships).

12. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Boston, Cape Cod, Rochester beaches (don't laugh too hard), Toronto. Those are my favorite weekend trips from Rochester. Or you could do it like I am now, in seattle, I've had weekend trips to chicago, michigan, boston, new york, north carolina. It all depends on if you want to drive or fly.

Paris or London are some of my favorite weekend trips :p.

BEN

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

For a nice weekend getaway in he northeast, Cape Cod. A good place for families. Many nice beaches. Always a lot of activities for families.

http://www.capecodchamber.org/

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Took the wife to Canandaigua a few years back for our anniversary. Beautiful area.

If you want to head south a bit, try St. Michael's on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Going to Boston/Cape Cod on a weekend in the summer is just asking to spend the majority of your trip in the car.

So do you have to take a car or can you fly? And what is your comfortable range for a destination? Figure that out, get a map, draw a big circle and see what looks good....

D

17. CompUser Guest

I've been to Newport, RI many times. Its a really cool place to go. Like someone mesioned above the Brick Ally Pub is a very cool resturant.

18. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

You could probably swing up to the White Mountains and maybe check out Mt. Washington. You don't have to be into the camping or hiking/peak-bagging thing either. In fact, you can drive or take a quasi-tram up to the top. I'd expect the view to be pretty nice too. Mt. Washington gets the worst weather in the country sometimes but you'd be fine in August. Highest windspeed on earth was recorded there - 231 mph. I think there are full facilities at the top including a large weather station.

19. PlaidHatter macrumors member

Las Vegas!

Las Vegas is the best weekend trip. Don't get a hotel room, just stay out and about the whole 2 days.

You'll take in as much as others who have a room and sleep, but it will be CHEAP!

20. billyergs macrumors member

I agree with Newport, very cool place.
    If you're up for a nice drive, Montreal is fun too.