What's a good SATA for a G5 with FCE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MegaSignal, Sep 10, 2004.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

I will be adding an additional SATA to my G5 2.0 Rev B when it arrives (along with 4G of Crucial RAM, thereby discarding all stock RAM).

My plan is to use this drive as a scratch drive. I do not want to stripe the drives (as suggested at Apple's website) for fear of a possible disc crash or failure. Hopefully, using a scratch disc in this fasion will improve speed and performance of FCE; iDVD will probably not benefit as I believe that this app allocates a certain amount of space within the boot OS disc for DVD rendering.

I am looking for something quiet, hopefully above 200G, along with an average seek time of about 8.5. Any suggestions would be most certainly welcome!

I'll hold off on replacing the original 160G SATA with a WD Raptor until sometime in the future...

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Check out storageview.com for reviews.

Tests have shown Seagate HDs to be the most quiet HDs, but they're not the best performers. WD performs very well, but they are loud. Hitachi (formerly IBM) has the best of both worlds. Best performing 7200RPM HD w/ very quiet operation. I'd get a Raptor 74GB as the boot HD, a 250GB Hitachi as the scratch HD, and put the 160GB Maxtor that came w/ the G5 in an external enclosure and do whatever w/ it.

3. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

That's what I was looking for...

It would appear that the Hitachi is the best bet...