What's a good video card for the G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mowogg, Dec 7, 2004.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I have a gen-1 1.8Ghz single G5. It has the Nvidia grphics card (5200 64Mb?) that was the factory build. I don't know that much about video cards and I don't think I need a horsepower monster (or to spend $600) but want to make sure I am getting the most enjoyment out of my Mac. I mostly play CoD and MoHAA and the G5 seems to handle those OK, but I'm curious about Doom, etc.... Does anyone have a recommendation as to a good card and where to get a good deal?

BTW, it would drive a last-gen 20" cinema display.

TIA,
    Rob

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

The 5200 will drive up to a 23" monitor. Doom isn't even out yet, and might never be. So wait for more games. If you have money to blow the Nvidia 6800GT is pretty good and cheaper than the Ultra

3. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

Nvidia Cards for teh Aftermarket?

Is the 6800GT Mac compatible out of the box? I was under the impression that they only sold to Apple, and you couldn't buy them stand-alone. If not, cool!

Thanks!

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I have the Radeon 9800 SE w/256MB memory in my original 1.6Ghz G5, and it is awesome. I can play all the games you listed at max details. The only time an issue might arise is when the game is ported poorly, like in the halftrack level of MOH. I play Warcraft III TFT the most out of all of them and it perfect. I would definitely recommend this card.

EDIT: Unlike the Radeon 9800 Pro, this has more memory, but more importantly both a DVI and ADC port. I can run my 17" studio display (ADC) off of it with no problems. It's also only 20 bucks more than the regular 9800 Pro so you may as well go all out! :)

Neither of the Nvidia cards (ultra or gt) have ADC ports. The soon to be released x800 will, but that may be way more card then you need. :)

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

There is a Mac version out. If you want to spend even less money. The Radeon 9600xt is out. and if you wait, rumors have it that the x800 will be out to compete against the 6800 Ultra.

(the 9600xt will double your frame rates in most situations)

6. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

ADC

Gotta' have the ADC port.

Thanks to everyone for their input!