What's an ExpressCard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghall, Aug 19, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm getting a MacBook Pro, and I whould like to know what an ExpressCard is. What is it's purpose?

2. ender78 macrumors 6502

The ExpressCard is the next generation of PC-CARD aka PCMCIA. It is an expansion slot for notebooks. Capabale of PCI-Express bus speeds.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Google is your friend

So is Wikipedia

The gist: it's like a smaller faster PCMCIA card. Useful for the same things. That is... if you can find a Mac compatible one that is actually useful.

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

That doesnt help me.

5. ender78 macrumors 6502

What would you like then? You asked what it is, do you want specific examples or devices? If so, have you tried google?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If that doesn't help you, then the odds are good that you wouldn't use the slot.

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Help yourself dude...:rolleyes:

8. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

In some notebooks, there are the "old" PC-card slots (aka PCMCIA). You can use them for many things. It's like an expansion port. You can out in a card that gives ypu extra USB or FireWire ports, a wireless internet card and so on.

The Expresscard/34 is a newer technology, which can do pretty much the same. Since there are really no useful Mac compatible cards for Expresscard/34, it's kinda obsolete on the MBP. However, if they were upgraded to Expresscard/54, they would be very useful.;)

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thank you, that was very helpful! I think I understand now.

10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Thats not true!
    I can add additional FW/USB ports, or eSATA, or other cool stuff like that :p

though I would like /54 for memory readers etc.

11. projectle macrumors 6502

Why not just get a USB2 memory card reader?

Sure it is "outside" (gasp) of your computer, however USB2 will outperform even the highest end memory cards avaliable today.

12. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I have one. And it depends on your particular card reader and card.

If I had lots of $, I'd have the Sandisk Extreme IV FW800 card reader with Extreme IV CF cards. But I do like to eat.

13. petecantuhines macrumors newbie

ghall
    I found this on pcmag.com: "The ExpressCard is a plug-in module that superseded the PC Card standard for adding functionality to laptops. ExpressCard boosted the data rate from 132 to 342 Mbytes/sec. It supports USB 2.0 and single lane PCI Express and can use both of these channels in the same module at the same time (see USB and PCI Express)"
    Smaller than PC Cards:
    ExpressCards are PC cards (PC Cards are plug-in modules that contain devices such as a modem, network adapter, sound card, solid state drive or hard disk) 11 mm shorter than PC Cards and come in two widths: 54 mm and 34 mm. ExpressCard 54 mm slots accommodate both sizes.

An Internal USB Solution:
    The ExpressCard eliminates the need to carry an external USB storage device and cable. For example, a USB hard drive or flash drive can remain within the laptop when traveling, with, at most, a small protrusion jutting out from the side. See PC Card.
    http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=ExpressCard&i=42886,00.asp
    Hope this is useful

14. cube macrumors G4

You can also add an ExpressCard 3G modem which does not stick out as much as a USB 3G dongle (subject to carrier support).