Whats best ipod docking station with speakers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CaptainCaveMann, Mar 2, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    I like the Altec Lansing one thats at comp usa right now. It comes with a remote control and has 4 speakers. Two on each side. It also folds up nicely. The speakers sounded great to me, all for 150 bucks. Do you guys know about anything better? Any recomendations?
  2. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    I have the old Altec Lansing speakers, and i must say that they're excellent and would recommend them. only two problems with them though that you should know about...

(1) when you turn them up all the way sound quality decreases, but they can go up pretty loud without losing quality.
    (2) if you do have them turned up a lot the battery life is more like 1-2 hours rather than 24. but even at a pretty high volume they last quite a while. i've been using the same batteries for over a month. then again, i try to have the speakers plugged in if i can.

so if you dont plan on having the volume turned up a lot i would recommend them. you can have them turned up enough that you can hear them properly about two rooms away without any problems, but above that it sounds pretty bad and it eats batteries (unless it's plugged in of course)

(it feels weird not putting a smily in this post...i mean, it's not that serious is it? :) :p ;) )
    much better

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    I will probably have it turned up loud a lot. Any other recomends?
  4. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    hmmm...i haven't used any other ipod speakers, but thinking back, when i was in zimbabwe over christmas my mother insisted that i play christmas music, and i had the speakers turned up enough to be heard throughout the (relatively small) house when running on batteries. but if volume is really important then you'll probably have to go with something larger and more expensive. the only thing that comes to mind that isnt too large is the Bose SoundDock , but again, i've never used it. also, from what i can tell it seems to use a special kind of battery :confused:
    good luck
  5. gr4y5ku11 macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2005
    Southern IL

I love my SoundDock from Bose. I use my 60GB iPod photo w/ it just fine. When we entertain guests at our bar we play music through it and people are just blowed away! We have a 2800 sq ft house and there is not a room in the house that the music can not be heard! I haven't even played it loud yet! Great product in my opinion!

Here is what you see in the link:

Here is my 15" 1.5GHz Rev. D Powerbook G4 w/ 1.5GB RAM
    iPod 3G 40GB (in dock)
    Sony DCR-PC109
    Apple Wireless Mouse
    Bose SoundDock
    iPod photo 60GB (in SoundDock via 3G 40GB insert)
    iPod Shuffle 512
  6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i have also heard a sounddock and was very impressed. i know the audiophiles are going to jump in here and tell us how much bose sucks :rolleyes: but i think it sounds great
  7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    My brother got the Bose Sounddock for Christmas. It sounds absolutely amazing. We went to the Apple Store and listened to all of the others, and the Bose completely blew them out of the water. It's pricey ($300), but worth every penny in my opinion.
  8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i have the altec lansing. i prefer it over the bose because of its portability. you can fold them up and take them with you. the bose sound is better of course.

the only negative i have on the altec is that my remote reaches only 8 feet or so. that is no enough for small rooms.

9. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    The Bose system is really nice, but i have a few gripes about it. Number 1: Its to expensive for me. Number 2: Its not as portable as i would like. The folding capability iof the altex systems is very appealing to me. Ive narrowed it down to the altecs or the jbl flying saucer model. Haha. How can i choose between the two?
  10. AnyaDearest macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2009
    This one is pretty cool :)

I researched alot before I bought this one. It isn't very expensive like some I saw but it has everything I wanted as well as a lightning ball that looks amazing when the lights are off in my room. I wake up to the music I have on my Shuffle and don't need to listen to news on the radio. This is where I got it

11. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    This thread is three years old!
  12. rbredden macrumors newbie

Jun 7, 2007
    Check out the Klipsch

Check out the Klipsch, I cant remember the model name. It is the bigger unit about the same size as the Bose. Less money and it can wirelessly stream music to a second unit. My wife bought me one for Christmas to replace the Bose unit (that had fried) and the sound quality is just as good with more features.
  13. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

Jul 29, 2008
    I have a vers 2x and i love it its sooo different looking and it sounds great, also it works with the iphone (i dont know if you have one but its always good to plane ahead ;)) plays and charges and you dont have to to put it into air plane mode. They are like 200 or so new but i picked one up off ebay for 60 shipped.

14. AnyaDearest macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2009
    Hi, upsguy27

Thank you for pointing out that the thread to which I recently posted was 3 years old. I googled 'best ipod docking station' and the Mac Forum discussion, despite being 3 years old, was at the top of the page. I'd say that's pretty relevant...

15. BestiPodStation macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2011
    Sony RDP-XF100P

I have owned the Sony RDP-XF100P best ipod docking station now for about a year. This is my second IPod/IPhone speaker system. I use this Sony for my IPhone and have found it reliable. The battery life is reasonable and the sound that this machine produces is quite incredible.

My only problem with this machine is its lack of portability. The readout is hard to see in the house and nearly impossible to read on the patio or God forbid, in the sunlight. An additional annoyance is the finger-touch controls located on the top. I find it nearly impossible to pickup and move this machine without inadvertently touching one of these controls and thus changing the mode to radio or something else.

This machine is a good choice if you routinely leave it on one spot and you are handy with the remote control.
  16. ipod docks pro macrumors newbie

May 28, 2012
    ipod docking station with speakers

Hi CaptainCaveMann

You can check here the latest models with deatiaed video reviews on the best ipod docking stations avaliable in the US.
  17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I actually sold my Bose SoundDock awhile back and replaced with a Bose SoundLink Mobile. The SoundLink doesn't play quite as loud, but still sounds very good. I like being able to just connect with Bluetooth which will work with any device that has BT so you are not limited to a dock connector. If you want better quality sound (even though BT gives you pretty darn good results) there is an input jack on the back. It is rechargeable and the battery lasts me around 6-8 hours. Of course you can just run it plugged in if you want. It is very portable and very well built.

It is probably priced a bit higher then what you want, but it is an excellent product that has a lot of versatility.