Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the Apple Watch, the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus, the new Apple TV, and the iPad Pro, 2015 was a major year for Apple. The Apple Watch introduced a whole new category, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus saw the debut of 3D Touch, and the iPad Pro brought Apple's largest iOS device yet.

iOS 9, watchOS 2, and OS X 10.11 El Capitan brought refinements to Apple's operating systems, and the fourth-generation Apple TV came with a brand new operating system, tvOS. 2015 saw a huge number of new products and software updates, and 2016 promises to be just as exciting.

whatscoming2016.png

A second-generation Apple Watch is in the works and could launch in early 2016, while new flagship iPhones, the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, are coming in late 2016. Those who love smaller devices will be excited to hear a 4-inch iPhone 6c may be coming early in 2016, and Apple's Mac lineup is expected to gain Skylake chip updates.

New software, including iOS 10, OS X 10.12, watchOS 3, and an upgraded version of tvOS are all expected in 2016, and Apple will undoubtedly work on improving services like HomeKit, Apple Pay, and Apple Music.

As we did for 2014 and 2015, we've highlighted Apple's prospective 2016 product plans, outlining what we might see from Apple over the course of the next 12 months based on current rumors, past releases, and logical upgrade choices.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What's Coming From Apple in 2016: Apple Watch 2, iPhone 6c, iPhone 7, Skylake MacBooks, and More

Last edited:
Reactions: HansumKingtut

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
No word on any of the Mac product lines, which are almost all due for an update.

Edit: I was wrong. Arn himself proved me wrong and now I look like a fool. :oops: Don't make the same mistake I did. If the article is new, and the thread is still in its first page, stop. Think before you write a comment.

Last edited:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Macs are discussed in detail. You have to read the full article
"Little is known" isn't a discussion. There are a number of deficiencies with the MacBook that should be addressed next revision, and the MacBook Pro's overdue for exterior design changes. I wish like the OP there were more supply chain rumors regarding these topics than the usual iGadget info, but apparently Macs have simply been forgotten. :(

I'm looking for a couple of new laptops to replace a pair of aging 2011 Macbook Airs, and I'm really hoping 2016 is the year Apple releases something that stands out to me. :)

I don't really understand what value there is to adding a camera to the watch. I haven't ever found myself wanting or needing a camera.

Any ideas?
Maybe the purpose of it is to not make gen 1 owners not feel bad? I know I, for one, would not at all be tempted to upgrade if a camera were the big selling point. (honestly I can't see Apple doing that however)

Reactions: Unami and Siris4

pelegri

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
I don't really understand what value there is to adding a camera to the watch. I haven't ever found myself wanting or needing a camera.

Any ideas?

I agree; I don't see the use for a camera.

GPS and waterproof would be nice for runners and swimmers, with extra care on power consumption.
A 5GHz WiFi would be nice too.
Now and then I'd like my Apple Watch to connect via cellular, but the power consumption would have to be managed very carefully.

Mostly I want more WatchOS 2 apps and more Apple Pay pay points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.