what's feels fastest?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what feels the fastest for you...assuming you tried them?

g4 quicksilver, pentium 4, or athlon xp?

tibook, pentium 4-m laptop, or mobile athlon xp?

and what is the best value for desktop computer? and for laptop computer?

2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I don't know about desktops, but on the laptop side, I had a chance to play around with a couple of those new ti-wannabe gateway laptops with 2.0 Ghz P4-m (could've been 1.7ghz, i forgot). I must say, those things are NOTHING compared to my tibook. The screen wasn't as sharp or as bright. the laptop looks nice when it's closed, but it's still thicker than my ti. Open it u p and it's just another pc laptop. In terms of snappiness, maybe it's just me, but my ti feels snappier. I got so used to the Aqua interface that it makes using win2k torture.

Now, after having said that, I have nothing against those gateway laptops, or pcs. It's just that when compared to my tibook that i paid $400 more for, it's NOTHING.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Well that depends jef, what OS would you run on the desktops? I find Linux to be a lot snappier then Windows.

4. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I occasionally use a athlon 1700+, 256 Mb, and Xp.
    and at work a piii 733, with 128 Mb and running W2k pro.
    And at home a iMac 450, 128 Mb, running X.1.5
    Although when doing like a photoshop filter or anything that requires a lot of power, the athlon is faster, but only beats my iMac with seconds 10 - 20.
    But then I must say that X is snappier than Xp.
    switching apps, opening sys prefs, changing desktoppict, ....
    day to day browsing etc, the Athlon sometimes takes minutes to show sys prefs, or change the desktop.
    And the only update that Xp had so far is an expansion pack with some lame m$ deskpicts and icons.
    The peecee at work is comparable with X in terms of speed, but X doesn't give those stupid 'program has been terminated due to illegal instruction memory....'
    browsing trough the folders takes for ages on the peecee.
    If I had to choose between diff winblows versions, I'dd go for w2k pro, all other releases suck big time. 98 is fast but unstable; millenium is nice, slow, unstable; 95 is well, 95 ; Xp is just a new skin over older version w2k with lots of new features. If you had trouble before with other windows, this one will do it even more

I couldn't be more satisfied with X, although I need a memory upgrade 'cause apps that require lots of RAM are react slower.
    But the beauty, snappyness, and stability is superior.
    And Jaguar will be even better, so I can't wait to show off to lame peecheese dudes what an iMac 450 does :D

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

pentium 4 laptop with ddr ram is great i have to admit and starting around $1300 (dell), it's also a super value any way you slice it

but windows xp, graphically intense, slows it down

the athlon xp is a little slower but i still prefer amd to intel...but that's more personal taste...the p4 is still faster than the athlon xp mobile processor because p4 supports the 266 mhz ddr ram and athlon xp supports the standard 133 mhz sdram

the tibook with os 9 seems faster than with os x which is also graphically intense and to me seems slow

but if i had a choice right now, i would like a tibook with os 9.x but the price has to come way down eventually which it will...of course, the tibook will last twice as long as any pc laptop so in the long run, the tibook is the best value and the cheapest way to go

knowing pc laptops, you will have to get two back to back to last as long as the average apple portable

6. iGav macrumors G3

My TiBook 500 feels snappy enough...... although there are the occasional hangs in OSX... in OS9 though it felt super fast...... as fast as some of the current crop of PC laptops...... although it's very hard to make comparisons with the machines being side by side...... Not long ago I was considering purchasing a Sony Vaio for cross platform development work, but the machine really didn't feel that fast even though it was way over Ghz.......

Personally, I feel that alot of the problem lies with OSX and the fact that its eye candy is alittle bloated....... even though 'Jaguar' may rectify alot of the speed issues, I would much prefer if Apple had considered a more minimal OS, that whilst still elegant, was also very, very fast...... something that the current version of OSX can't really claim.... but things will get speedier as the development continues........ :)