Whats going on, We Don't have a million posts?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I noticed something on the Forums stats:
    Threads: 83,883, Posts: 985,981, Members: 39,735
    According to this we are still below the millionth post mark, does the millionth post include those in the wasteland?
    Whats going on. we don't have a million legit posts!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Uh oh, edesignuk's millionth post was a sham.

"Race you to the top!"

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The explanation that I received, when posting the number at the end of the link is the number of posts on MacRumors. So currently it's 1,012,943.

http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1012943

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering that was post number 1,012,943, it was probably a math error caused by using a machine with an Intel processor -- it happens. ;)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The post count given in the "million post" race and when you post (this is number 1012982) counts every post - normal, banned, wastelanded, political, deleted, etc.

edesignuk's was the millionth time someone hit the "submit" button. There weren't (and aren't yet) a million "standard" posts.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

you know, i wondered the same thing, but i didn't bother asking...

thanks for clearing that up... it's just too bad it'll be virtually impossible who gets the 1,000,000th "legit" post, which is perhaps why they choose to do this way...

reality

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Hmm...maybe this opens up the door to have a second 1,000,000 post count contest. I really like the avatar contests, so really any excuse to have another one is fine by me.

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

It might be because the private forums for controbutors that are posts but not visible to all.

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Perhaps a large amount of spam posts were deleted? A really large amount.....must of come from the marketplace.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If we delete posts, they're gone :D

There have been many over the years. But the thing is, go look for the 1,000,000 post and you can find it. If you use just the number of post in the forums, you get the smaller number, but you can 't index it. We're going with what we have since there have been a million plus posts, you just can't see all of them anymore.

If I could find an example of a deleted post, you'd get an error trying to access it.

D