What's happening to the memory on my MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by UKPoliticsGuy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hello,

I have found that I am often deleting video files on my Macbook Air (Late 2011 model), despite the fact I know that I don't add junk apps onto my Macbook.

I looked up my data storage stats on 'About my Mac' and found something was terribly wrong (see attached). The numbers don't add up. If we add up the numbers, I have only used 88gb of my hard drive, not 210gb as the picture says!

Also, I am colourblind but does the 'other' bar seem to be bigger than the others despite the fact it says 'Other: Zero KB'.

Helllppp!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
    The above links also apply to SSDs.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried those, my point is that either I have used 80gb or 210gb.

I believe this maybe an reindexing problem caused by spotlight, I am reindexing right now to see if the stats match.

4. simsaladimbamba

You tried the applications or you tried the first link or you tried both?

Sometimes a restart can solve the problem too, but most likely it is a local Time Machine backup, thus I repost again: What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I tried all those apps and they all match DaisyDisk. Sadly, it does not match with the Mac's very own stats. I have tried reindexing to no avail :(

6. simsaladimbamba

And what about those local TM backups I linked you with a guide twice?

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it's not those either.

I found the solution: My disk was corrupt. When into recovery mode, verified disk and repaired it. The numbers now match.

8. simsaladimbamba

Such a stupid reason. But glad it worked out for you. :)