What's happening with the iPod

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Paolo, May 12, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

Where is the iPod heading?
    Apple can't honestly leave the iPod that has so much potential, just as an MP3 player?
    But they haven't mentioned anything about it for a while so this could mean they're updating it... or they've forgotton about it!

But it seems to me that apple like to hint to alll these other products being released and then release something knowone was thinking of!

What do you guys/gals think?

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it's not just an MP3 player....

i prefer to think of the iPod as a 10GB portable hard drive with a built in MP3 player. you've got a point though, Apple hasn't been focusing on the iPod for quite a while. there might be something planned.....;)

3. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

No one wants to talk about ipod

How come no one wants to talk about iPod, I'm really interested in where it can go? but everyone else seems to be to caught up with what's happening with the G5!!

Any rumors or speculation on the iPod?

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: No one wants to talk about ipod

no real rumors on it lately... except the possibility of a PC version of it.

Beyond that, I personally believe that it will stay an MP3 player.... and not be expanded to much more as other people seem to want.

arn

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: What's happening with the iPod

The software in it is just geared for playing mp3s and fiwi disk mode. Other than that, it doesn't have much functionality. Scroll wheels are only good for things with long, read-only lists. The controls are only geard for basic playpack. And the screen in B&W with poor res for anything else but text.

This is a no-input, read only device when not hooked up to a computer and will stay that way indefinitely. Apple said itself that the contacs were not meant to be a new direction for the device.

6. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

but can you just imagine how awesome it could be if they simply took the basic size and shape of the thing and the harddrive and turned it into a PDA?
    how about a full-body, hi-res, color touch screen and newton functionality?

7. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Re: it's not just an MP3 player....

Surely you are joking.. they JUST released v1.1 of the iPod software..

"I want my system software updated every 2 weeks or we're all screwed.." Obviously Apple is just sitting on its arse... :)

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I personally can't see too much more that they could do with that thing without altering its personality (i.e. PDA nonsense). It does the job. It plays my songs, it stores my files, that's what I bought it for and it suits me fine. :D

Waiting for OS X updates is one thing... but iPod? They fixed almost everything that was requested in 1.1 (except they could stand for a little better vCard compatibility). I won't be devastated if I don't see another iPod update until July.