What's Mac Gonna Do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GabeMac, Jul 7, 2006.

1. GabeMac macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2006
    There is one thing that has been worrying me recently, due to Mac's conversion to Intel chips. PC users have found ways to install the OSX operationg systems of their PC's. (Dell, Toshiba etc.) I don't believe Macintosh hasn't thought of the posibility before, and I'm wondering if they have anything up their sleeves to prevent this. Has anyone else heard of this Mac on Pc trend?
  2. iMacFan78 macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2006
    Yes, they do. It is stated in the Mac OS X 10.4.4 EULA that you promise to only install OS X on an Apple-branded computer. Apple also wrote a nice poem:

Your karma check for today:
    There once was a user that whined
    his existing OS was so blind,
    he’d do better to pirate
    an OS that ran great
    but found his hardware declined.
    Please don’t steal Mac OS!
    Really, that’s way uncool.
    © Apple Computer, Inc.
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    I think there isn't really any way to stop people putting mac OS on a generic PC, but the issues of unsupported hardware will be a headache. I don't know why you would buy a PC to run Mac OS on, when Macs are getting cheaper than their competitors (like a dual-core 1.83GHz CPU for the baseline MacBook for 1400 compared to a single-core 1.66GHz in a Toshiba portable).

Nice poem, iMacFan78 :p
  4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    It would be so simple for Apple to prevent this or at least make it hard that I have to wonder why they have not even tried to.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You mean "what's Apple going to do" don't you?

Apple is the company, Mac is the product. Asking what Mac is going to do would be like asking "What's Camry going to do now that it's bought General Motors?" The Camry is a car, Toyota is the company.
  6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I hope they bring back this icon...

Attached Files:

7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2006
    Actually, isn't the baseline Macbook $1199 (1049 education)?

You cannot get a comprably equipped dell for that price. Period.
  8. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    you can install OSX on any computer running an intel cpu (AMD cpu can not run it).

But it requires a lot of work to do so. It a pain to get by everything already in there. So only really computer geeks are going to do it any how and they wouldnt of bought a mac any how. Currently any one who really done it was more to see if they could do it. At most it more money apple got because they bought a copy of the OS. Worse case some else starts liking apple and will buy apple hardware later.

They would not of paid for an Apple computer to begin with so no really lose of money. They dont have to pay to support it. M$ has to pay money to support there stolen copies of the OS. Apple doesnt have to.

It more how long until apple starts putting in security into their OS to keep apple users from pirating it. I know that number is growing more and more every year. And it is by far larger of a number than people install OSX on a generic PC. That should be a larger issue for apple. People who own mac pirating the OS is by far a larger number than the ones installing it on Dells and home built PCs. Heck they could kill 2 birds with one stone if they put in an activation and some security like that.
  9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    $1574 AUD with Edu discount... so maybe i was having a moment of wishful thinking...