Whats more important Gameplay or Graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Dec 24, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    With the new systems this seems to be a big debate

So whats more important in your eyes gameplay or graphics

in my opinion graphics and physics have a way of driving gameplay or atleast opening gameplay options.
  2. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Gameplay by 10000000000x

I don't give a rat's ass how good it looks if it's an awesome game.

Good graphics are lovely, but you've got to have a good game to make it interesting.
  3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    1. Gameplay
    2. Story
    3. Graphics(I still think they are significantly important)
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    graphics are important. but mean nothing if the gameplay and story are crap. i mean seriously, GTA 3 for example. crappy graphics, but the whole concept and story and what you were able to do make it awesome. Metroid Prime, doesn't have the best graphics either, but makes up for it in the story and gameplay. (how freaking awesome is it to be able to morph into a ball in a 3D environment?!) but then look at games that they to have the best graphics possible. some of them succeed at decent storys, and are still fun, but also at times seem to sacrifice the gameplay for better looks. (doom 3 comes to mind).
  5. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Game-play and story-line are the most important factors on the list.

Graphics and Sound is just the icing on the cake. :)

Pricing is at the bottom. ;)
  6. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Gameplay of course, as i always say we call them games for a reason
  7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    If you actually need to ask that question, then bin all your games and buy a DVD player.
    "Amazing graphics, so lifelike!":eek::p So says the Pixel Snob
  8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Obviously game play, but the situation depends on just how bad the graphics are.

For example, the simplistic graphics and great gameplay of Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES is a great game.

But then theres games for like the original PS and N64 where they tried to make 3D games on hardware that was just not compatible. Not ALL the games, as the N64 had classics like Super Mario 64. An example: Twisted Metal 4. Fun game, horrible graphics. Impossible to play.
  9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Gameplay is DEFINITELY most important. I'd rather have a game play good than look pretty and play horribly.

After gameplay...actually, graphics matter least to me.

*waits for the people to scream*

IMHO, the future is PHYSICS. Play Burnout 3 sometime. Even on the PS2. There are games with FAR better graphics on the XBox and XBox 360, but I'm far more amused by the stunning crash physics in Burnout as the cars are torn to shreds than by the graphics on PGR3.

Physics can enhance gameplay. Graphics just make it look better.

With the new gen systems, I want to see some serious physics :) Debris flying everywhere and bouncing realistically, realistic reactions to punches, etc.

But Gameplay is above everything.

I'd say:

1) Gameplay
    2) Physics
    3) Story
    4) Graphics

I mean, look at Burnout 3. Great gameplay, incredible physics, very good graphics, and virtually no story. It's still fun. Story isn't that important- BUT when there's a good story it really enhances the game.

However, the graphics must reach a certain level. If I'm playing a GameCube game that looks like N64...erm...(not counting playing old titles, like Zelda 64).

I'd rather play Zelda 64 than many current-gen games.
  10. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Gameplay. duh! they are games, not films, not interactive films (a horrible form of entertainment, IMO). you play a game. gameplay. how fun is the game to play?

Graphics have a certain role in things. but its not graphics as such. its what I call the visual quality. the NES on a tube TV has good visual quality. nothing is wrong with it. a Gamecube on a regular LCD TV looks bad. nothing to do with the graphics but the quality of the overall image.

PlaceofDis; Metroid Prime doesn't have good graphics?! personally I find them beautiful. the most absorbing game I've played completely helped along by its wonderful looking worlds.

I'm a game maker myself. graphics are good, I certainly spend a lot of time crafting pixels into something that looks perfect for the game. but thats more to do with me creating art rather than valuing graphics over gameplay.

Currently I'm playing Streets of Rage 2 on my Mega Drive and Balloonacy on my Amiga. I'd rather play them over 100% of any current Xbox and PS2 game and 99% of any Cube game (Smash Bros is a love of mine). I'd be...

1) Gameplay + Story (I LOVE a good story)
    2) MUSIC!!! is very important to me
    3) physics are very nice

off the scale) graphics.
  11. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    I agree Gameplay is the most important, I would invest money to get good graphics though as it adds to the the experience.
  12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    Prime does have good graphics, but there are games out ther that have gone well beyond its graphics... doesn't make them better games though.
  13. d_saum macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    IMO I think graphics and gameplay are equal. If you have one and not the other, it takes away from the experience. Not to change the topic, but... I think graphics can be spectacular without HD. Lighting, particle effects, emotions on characters faces, smoke, fire... I think all that can and should be imporved on before we go crazy with HD.
  14. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    yup, its just studios are too lazy to make things look real so they're fobbing us off with updated resolutions claiming it to be the next big thing! shlam!

EDIT: I wonder when the point will come when games consoles and PC merge? PS3 with its linux, keyboard/mouse etc, PSP with its web browser... you can predict where Nintendo are going these days by keeping games and their systems as far away from the PC as possible. me? I want my photorealistic graphics on my PC and my gameplay on my console.
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Except...that things react more realistically in Prime. There are other games with better graphics, but the sheer amount of detail and the way things react (you can see X-rays, heat coming off objects, water runs down the visor, etc) make the game feel more real.

Detail and physics triumpth over grapihcs, IMHO. You just see the graphics in the screenshots.
  16. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    a common thinking that floats around the game making forums i'm on... is that graphics (mainly 3D ones though) will age disgustingly. what is beautiful now will be foul tomorrow. Gameplay matures over time. what's fun today will be heralded and praised, and be the standard for gameplay of tomorrow.

The mentality of the graphics whore amazes me. first of all the N64 was the best because of its graphics, then the PS2 but a few moments later the Xbox ruled supreme, then into the future with the 360/PS3 because of its HD support. don't you ever dare tell a graphics whore that they used to like something that now looks ugly.
  17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i would agree with that.
  18. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
  19. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    I think gameplay is much more important. Remember Starcraft? It has pretty bad 2D 640x480 graphics, but the gameplay is AWESOME!

Surely good graphics is good, but it not the only thing
  20. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    dumb question: if graphics are more important, go "play" a dvd
  21. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    1. Story
    2. Game play
    3. Graphics

Can't have a game without a story or something to lure you in... graphics are meaningless if the game play sucks. I still love the old text based narrative games.
  22. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    I have an Atari 2600 that is frankly addicting. The great thing about the majority of those games is that anyone can pick up a controller and start playing. Look at Video Olympics (a pong game) or Warlords... It's really great when you can get a bunch of girls and adults to sit down and play a round of warlords without having to explain complex rules and such. The graphics of course leave much to be desired, but still...it's so much fun!
  23. d_saum macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    It most certainly is not a dumb question. The original poster asked what was more important in regard to video games. Not "would you rather play a great game with crappy graphics, or watch a gorgeous DVD?". Duh...

It actually aggravates me when people get this tunnel vision about how if graphics are so important, they should just watch a movie. How retarded is that? They are called "VIDEO" games for a reason. People are VISUAL creatures and if you want to play a game, you want it to look as good as it can possibly be. You may feel one aspect is more important than the other, but not completely removing graphics or gameplay totally. :mad:

Some people... I swear.
  24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    While the burnout series has very good physics, I don't think Forza Motorsport can be beat for car physics. Heck, even Road & Track said that it behaves almost like a real car, even more so than GT4. The damage isn't quite as realistic, as running into a tire wall does about the same as a concrete wall.

One of the best games ever made, hopefully to be surpassed by the next one. Heck, I still play Chrono Trigger, but physics aren't a factor in that one ;)
  25. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    it really irratates me when people buy a game just because of jaw-dropping graphics and refuse to try out a game because the graphics isn't good enough. it's like favoring starcraft over a 2004-2006 strategy game JUST because of graphics, and not considering storyline and gameplay a single bit.

( i didn't say that 2004-2006 games aren't as good as starcraft OK? :rolleyes: )