Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tvOS, the operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV, is also set to receive some updates this fall alongside iOS, macOS, and watchOS.

tvOS isn't getting as many changes as these other operating systems, but as can be seen in the video below, there are some important new features being added that make it easier to find content and easier to watch live television.

New in tvOS 10 is Siri's ability to search for movies by topic, bringing up content around a theme. Queries like "Show me high school comedies from the 80s" or "Find me movies about dinosaurs" now work. Siri's also gaining the ability to open live channels directly through a Live Tune-In feature that works when you say something like "Watch CBS News" or "Watch ESPN," and Siri can also manage HomeKit accessories.

At WWDC, Apple mentioned that YouTube search is on the way, allowing users to ask Siri to find cute kitten videos or videos of hamsters eating tiny burritos, but that's actually a feature that's going to be available ahead of the fall release of tvOS.

A new Single Sign-On option for pay TV apps is available in tvOS 10, allowing users to sign in once with their cable credentials to access live cable content available through their cable subscription. Apple plans to introduce a new Remote app for iOS devices that mirrors the layout of the Siri remote, and developers are getting a lot of new APIs to build into their apps.

For the first time, games will be able to require a controller, so more complicated controls will be possible, and there are also APIs for recording and live broadcasting, using HomeKit, and accessing iCloud Photo Library photos.

Other new features in tvOS include a dark mode, a Continuity option for easier text input on the iPhone, automatic app downloads, a "Memories" feature in Photos, and a redesigned Apple Music app.

Not all tvOS features are working in the developer beta now, including Single Sign-On, but Apple will likely add functionality as the beta testing process progresses.

For full details on the new features coming in tvOS 10, make sure to check out our tvOS 10 roundup. Don't miss out on our previous videos, which have covered iOS 10, watchOS 3, and macOS Sierra:

- WWDC 2016 Overview in Seven Minutes
- iOS 10's Overhauled Lockscreen
- The New iOS 10 Photos App
- The New iOS 10 Messages App
- macOS Sierra - Siri
- iOS 10 Hidden Features
- watchOS 3 Overview
- iOS 10's Redesigned Apple Music Experience
- 3D Touch in iOS 10
- The New Home App for Controlling HomeKit Devices

We've also got roundups for all of the upcoming operating systems, including watchOS 3, macOS Sierra, and iOS 10.

Article Link: tvOS 10 Overview: Single Sign-On, Dark Mode, New Siri Abilities and More

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Go for it MR, now's your golden chance to find negativity in this. You get prompted on your iPhone? That's just Apple trying to sell iPhones. Dark mode? That's Apple trying to not appear racist. Typical liberals. New remote app? That's another way of saying the old app sucks. Come on, let's view life though negative lens. It's the MR way!

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Go for it MR, now's your golden chance to find negativity in this. You get prompted on your iPhone? That's just Apple trying to sell iPhones. Dark mode? That's Apple trying to not appear racist. Typical liberals. New remote app? That's another way of saying the old app sucks. Come on, let's view life though negative lens. It's the MR way!

Hey, you ok? :(

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
Would be great if Apple enabled HomeKit support with Apple TV so for instance of you were pulling into your driveway you could ask Siri to turn on the TV to whichever channel and have it be ready to watch when you walk in

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
It amazed me that dark mode took this long. I can't believe everyone at Apple thought bright white was a great idea for a TV menu. Dark mode should be the default. Lights are off you just finished watching a show and BAM! The room is filled with light and you are all blinded.

A bit dramatic but still. Do they really not have someone like Scott Forstall to tell them obvious design choices?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Hopefully you can search iTunes by price, that's how i buy stuff, as in show me all films to buy under $/£5 etc, I'm miffed that wasn't there from day 1!
That's unique thinking. Haven't thought about that...usually I would search by title or something.

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Hopefully you can search iTunes by price, that's how i buy stuff, as in show me all films to buy under $/£5 etc, I'm miffed that wasn't there from day 1!
I am a bargain hunter too, the lacking emphasis on what costs what is frustrating. There's a website, something to the tune of itunesmoviedeals.com or something similar that actually does just this, but it would be much more convenient if Apple provided the means themselves. I rarely even spend $10 on a movie, let alone 15 or 20..

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008

You should stop complaining about the complainers.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I'm curious if theres ever been negotiations with ISPs to instead of requiring an expensive TV package, to cut their TV Packages and add a small additional monthly fee to your Internet package - to stream live broadcasts through the apps. I mean you're already paying for internet to stream but not using the cable access to do much of anything than to turn on these apps..
Unless apple is working one by one with the content providers themselves to do this (local,national, etc).

I am a bargain hunter too, the lacking emphasis on what costs what is frustrating. There's a website, something to the tune of itunesmoviedeals.com or something similar that actually does just this, but it would be much more convenient if Apple provided the means themselves. I rarely even spend $10 on a movie, let alone 15 or 20..

Likewise, but for now there is CheapCharts iOS app

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I remember when the ATV4 was released and games *had* to support the Apple controller. Now they won't. Wonder if that initial decision hampered game development

Think maybe when it first came out there were not many controllers and now there are a bunch to choose from and easy to get.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012

Lol. The post below yours is someone whinging about the remote and even has a "thanks Tim..." In it. Comedy gold.

Reactions: batchtaster

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
The additions are nice, but nothing too earth-shattering... The product is somewhat new so that's understandable, but I had hoped we'd get picture-in-picture. If there is one logical next step for that feature, it was to bring it to the Apple TV, but hopefully it'll make its way there in the next update.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Love the keyboard continuity function. Keep it up Apple!
[doublepost=1466818466][/doublepost]
I don't wanna read through all the comments to see if anyone responded, ha. Did you find it?

It's a regular iPhone dock

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
does the Single Sign-On option have unlimited provider options or is it just the big ones? in PR we have none of the big boys so I hope they have the island cable networks like Hulu does.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
does the Single Sign-On option have unlimited provider options or is it just the big ones? in PR we have none of the big boys so I hope they have the island cable networks like Hulu does.

That is up to your local cable providers like in the USA. Even here their are some providers who do not authenticate apps.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Wonder how Single Sign On will work for one of my customers. The feature will be a God-send for her. Seems like we're always have to fix and reset authorizations. To make matters worse is she has multiple providers. She lives on a farm, but has DirecTV at another home and Time Warner Cable at a different home. So we sign in to different apps based on what provider supports it. This could be problematic with Single Sign On.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.