What's next for gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Jun 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm fascinated by this issue. Now that the supreme court has made it's ruling, what happens next? Even though the supreme court legalized gay marriage in states where it's already legal, most of the country still doesn't have it legalized. When will the day come when the supreme court rules that a state has no right to deny a same sex couple marriage rights? As much celebration as there was when the supreme court made its decision, it's really a bittersweet ruling if you think about it. The only thing gay couples can do now is move to states that allow it, but when will the day come when they don't have to move? I think we still have a major civil rights issue in this country if gay couples in most states still can't marry. What are we really celebrating?

2. macrumors 68040

bradl

Right now, the POTUS is trying to figure out what the States can do outside of being defendants in challenges to their bans.

He's been quoted saying something to the fact of that if you are married in a state that has legalized gay marriage, and you go to or move to another state that bans gay marriage... you're still married. That marriage doesn't cease the moment you cross a state line. So he's trying to figure out what the federal government can do about it.

I'll have more to post (on my way to work), so I'll find appropriate links to back up what is next.

BL.

3. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Gay divorce is next if heteromarriage is anything to go by.

4. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Hopefully we can get blanket legalization, so that people in every state can get married to whomever they choose! :D:):cool:

5. macrumors regular

DOMA passed so overwhelming by a democratic congress and president it should have no problem with constitutional amendment, banning such marriages..but will take forever....

6. macrumors 6502a

Next will be a push to define gay marriage as a civil right which would invalidate all the state laws against it.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There seems to be a disconnect between you and the truth.

The bill was authored by Bob Barr in the 104th Congress. The 104th Congress was noted for the first time Republicans held both houses since the 1950s. The bill did receive good Democratic support.

8. macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Democratic congress?? Apparently you slept through the "'94 Revolution." Congress had Republican majorities for the first time in decades.

Plus, Clinton was facing re-election. Even given how Bob Dole was a longshot at best at unseating an incumbent president, Clinton needed to throw some meat to Middle America. And even the possibility of a overridden veto was too risky. Yeah, he won no points with the liberal base, but who else were they going to vote for?

A constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage has the chance of happening as a permanent moonbase by 2020.

9. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

So - gonna go out on a limb here and assume that you're not a huge supporter of equal rights for same-sex couples.

Out of curiosity, what negative effects and negative impacts would legalizing same-sex marriage have on you and/or your family? Or lets get even more general - what negative effects would it have on society?

10. macrumors G4

skunk

Obviously in no time at all you'd have heathen farm animals marrying paedophiles. Then where would be be? It's "Goodbye America".

11. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

...with a new industry making wedding rings for farm animals.

Job creation!

12. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

One can only hope. I wish the supreme court would make state level gay marriage bans unconstitutional.

13. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sure it won't be long until a suit against a state with DOMA-like language in their constitution is filed. Few years until it reaches the Sc though.

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Honestly, I'm pissed off that the supreme court refuses to treat sexual orientation like they treated race in 1967. How is it ok to allow the majority of states to continue discriminating against gays?

15. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What would you have therm do?

16. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Same thing they did in 1967. Declare marriage to be a civil right regardless of gender, just like they did for race. They should not have ignored the Prop 8 case, they should have taken it. Oh well, wishful thinking.

17. macrumors 68040

bradl

They couldn't take it. the plaintiffs had no standing to even present the case, so they had no case to take.

You want them to take a case? file a suit in a state has a gay marriage ban, and make sure the AG defends it. Then when it makes it to SCOTUS, they'll have to take it.

BL.

18. macrumors 6502

DUCKofD3ATH

Polygamy!

I predict that by 2020, there'll be more polygynous marriages than gay. And why not? Just think how much better a marriage would be with one woman and the husband employed outside the home while the other wife raises the kids. So many societal problems ended by this simple remedy.

Thanks, Supreme Court!

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Works for me.

20. likemyorbs, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

And polygamists bother you because.....? I don't care how they live their lives, as long as anything is consensual. If the government and IRS can figure out how to work all the benefits of marriage and tax issues for more than two people then I'm all for it. See, the way it is now is that there are a lot of benefits that specifically are for only two people, such as choices in the hospital that need to be made when one partner is unable to make their own choices. It's very hard to work that out for 3 or more people. And the more money is involved, the more complicated it gets. So idk how it would ever really work out.

Now, another major problem with your argument is that polygamy is a lifestyle choice, while homosexuality comes from a number of different factors, but it's pretty much agreed on by the entire academic and scientific worlds that it's not a choice. So there's a bit of a difference there. However you are likely to bring up your Jesus mumbo jumbo in response to this to try to tell me why homosexuality is a choice and that gay people choose to be gay. But maybe I'm wrong, doubt it though.

21. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

So long as it's an agreement between consenting adults, I don't care how many people choose to enter into a marriage.

I just happen to be a bit selfish.

So I don't see myself sharing my wife with another husband.

Others mileage may vary.

22. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Oh I agree, it's most certainly not a lifestyle for me or most people. But it's their choice to live that way and as long as its not 14 year old girls marrying 73 year old men then I'm fine with it.

23. macrumors G4

skunk

Will you still be saying that when you're 73?

24. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I hope so.

25. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Can you provide an example of when or where legalizing same sex marriage has led to polygamy? For that matter, can you explain exactly what allowing same sex marriage has to do with polygamy anyway?